V-P Vibration.

shaggn85

Recruit
EDIT - Moved from this topic: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ta-sx-m-steering-vibration-not-what-you-think

I am having similar symptoms and i have not started replacing anything just yet.

2010 Regal 1900 with a 4.3 GL-J and an SX-A 1.66. 140 hours on the clock.

I removed the drive to check the gimbal bearing and u-joints. Both look fine. Alignment seems perfect and verified with the alignment tool. absolutely dry as a bone inside the drive bellows. clean grease in the gimbal and on the splines.

i never thought that the issue could be the steering actuator. Can anyone confirm this as having been an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Took the liberty to start a topic for you. Please don't reply to topics with no activity for 90 or more days. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try: hooking up a hose.
Put motor in drive and watch the prop for wobble.
Try greasing the steering actuator.
Contact Volvo service at the factory.
They can be gotten to. Just keep trying.
They hear about EVERYTHING and can help.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
EDIT - Moved from this topic: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ta-sx-m-steering-vibration-not-what-you-think

I am having similar symptoms and i have not started replacing anything just yet.

2010 Regal 1900 with a 4.3 GL-J and an SX-A 1.66. 140 hours on the clock.

I removed the drive to check the gimbal bearing and u-joints. Both look fine. Alignment seems perfect and verified with the alignment tool. absolutely dry as a bone inside the drive bellows. clean grease in the gimbal and on the splines.

i never thought that the issue could be the steering actuator. Can anyone confirm this as having been an issue?

Ok ive dealt with the same issue for yrs....Now where did the steering actuator come from a link plz.

shaggn85

Recruit
Ok ive dealt with the same issue for yrs....Now where did the steering actuator come from a link plz.

Came from this forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ta-sx-m-steering-vibration-not-what-you-think

as for prop shaft - absolutely straight from what i can tell. I am starting to think it may actually be the steering system. I am getting a chirping belt and it sounds like its coming from the power steering pump. Not only that, my actuator has a small leak. if i have an issue with the actuator - i could theoretically be getting a high frequency oscillation there when it's loaded up in a turn.

shaggn85

Recruit
UPDATE...

So i took the boat in to a VP service technician

i had a chattering upper gear case. Too much lash in the upper gears. He rebuilt and shimmed the case properly and replaced the bearing - Warranty! woo hoo!
Replaced the u-joint assembly as well - warranty too.

Bottom half was perfect. Gear lube had no water in it or run out on the prop shaft as i thought.

Steering ram failed - replaced - Warranty! - Had to remove the engine to get this out...

Oil lines rotting - Replaced - Warranty..

waiting on 2 or 3 more parts, but the boat should be back together shortly and get a sea trial. let you know how it turns out.

Glad the original owner bought the extended warranty... already paid for itself for the transfer fee.

shaggn85

Recruit
Ok so i got the boat back... some interesting information for all late model VP SX owners.

If you have chatter and vibration on turning get it checked by a dealer.The mechanic said he has see a few newer drives from the factory with bad lash setup. Drive won't fail on you but it may wear prematurely and its noisy. My drive is now smooth with 0 noise or vibration. Replaced the steering ram and that fixed the vibration.

Hope this helps.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the follow up, Shag. Here's hoping you have years of quiet and smooth service.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
:D..........I never would believed that could cause the vibration. I thank you for your response and will be taking in the drive for a little look see.