Volvo Penta SX-A Trim Problems (was leaking, now smoking) :'(

Dusky323

Recruit
OK, so I have a 2009 Bluewater Escape which has a Volvo Penta SX-A. The Trim was leaking towards the end of summer and after searching through the web I discovered I have the trim unit prior to the updated one and it appears prone to leaking. I took the unit apart and checked all the seals and put it back together and I'm pretty sure I put the 4 hydraulic lines back in the correct order :/ I didn't mark them when I took them out so I followed a schematic that I found on-line. Anyway, re-filled with fluid and now it will not pump at all and in fact it even smoked a little and smelled like burned electrical. It looked like it came from the ground wire attached to the reservoir retainer but it happened so fast I'm not really sure. So it appears I've made my problem worse. Did I put something in backwards? Would the hydraulic lines being crossed up cause any of this? I did not remove any harnesses or electrical plugs/wires so unless I accidentally exposed one I cant think of what I did. Any help before I go tear it apart again :)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi there. Do you remember which schematic you followed? I had to do maintenance on my SX-A trim pump this season and I realized a fairly new schematic here on this website was incorrect. I had to take my own notes as mine was different, and I'll try to dig those up. Did you take the actual pump out of the recessed housing? How about moving or unhooking the pump wires?

Dusky323

Recruit
I didn't remove the pump or any of the wires. I took off the large composite shell and inspected the large seal that goes around that and all the o-rings and such that are in that area. I really didnt do a whole which makes me wonder if the hydraulic lines were not put back in the right order. Unless I jarred something loose its really the only thing I could have put back wrong. I tried following one of the blueprints I had on-line for those 4 hydraulic lines but they weren't the easiest to follow and maybe they weren't even right. If they were installed in the wrong order would I get the type of result I am getting?

Dusky323

Recruit
I was going off of this diagram. Does anyone know if this is the correct order of the Hydraulic lines?

2009-09-01_010950_VPexternaltrimpump.jpg

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is the diagram I went off of when I did my pump maintenance. I was referring to a hand-drawn schematic on a thread here on iBoats that differed from this schematic.