I/O overheating

Linielover

Recruit
I have a 3.0L Volvo that overheated. I replaced the impeller and housing. I back flushed from the raw water pump out through the water inlet and didn't see anything much flushed out. My question is shouldn't I get water shooting out the upper hose if I removed it with the engine running? I get nothing.

Linielover

Recruit
That's odd, I edited my original post and included this info, but for some reason it did not upload. I have a Glastron 185 with a volvo 3.0 GS MEFS I believe that it is a 2001.

Fun Times

Staff member
My question is shouldn't I get water shooting out the upper hose if I removed it with the engine running? I get nothing.
So you removed the hose between the sea water pump impeller to the thermostat housing (item #1) and don't have any water flow? If so then either the flushing attachment (muffs) are loose and sucking air, the water tube grommet and seal between the upper and lower drive unit are disintegrating and sucking air, or a problem between the bell housing area to the impeller housing pump.
Installing some temporary clear water hoses at the impeller housing may help you see what's going on.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7797476-26-11044.aspx

What model stern drive do you have? SX?

full_360612g84.jpg