5.7 1988 Volvo - Dip Stick access is plugged! Need help please

jrr4949

Recruit
I recently bought a 1998 Bayliner 2552 Fly bridge. I know the reputation in 1988 was not stellar however the design is phenomenal, I wanted a small boat with a fly bridge, & most all of the reviews on this particular model were very positive. The dipstick was not attached when I bought the boat. I was told to get a fitting for the oil pan and attach it to the drain plug. I finally got into the engine compartment with a mirror and a flashlight. Note: I have had 3 previous cruisers. I totally rebuilt a 27' 1965 Chris and another 33' Chris both from bow to stern, rebuilt the engines myself and I have NEVER come across this one. A Chevy block is a Chevy block regardless of Volvo, Mercury etc. Agree?
I found the port for the dip stick - AND IT IS PLUGGED up with what looks like a metal plug! Has anyone ever heard of this? This is my first Bayliner. It is the 2452 Command Bridge 1988 with a Volvo 5.7. Can I tap this plug and try to remove it?
Is this standard on this model? It looks like I may have to remove the new manifold just to get enough clearance to reach it and or work on drilling it out.
No Bayliner jokes please!!!! :)
Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.. JR

Bondo

Staff member
I recently bought a 1998 Bayliner 2552 Fly bridge. I know the reputation in 1988 was not stellar however the design is phenomenal, I wanted a small boat with a fly bridge, & most all of the reviews on this particular model were very positive. The dipstick was not attached when I bought the boat. I was told to get a fitting for the oil pan and attach it to the drain plug. I finally got into the engine compartment with a mirror and a flashlight. Note: I have had 3 previous cruisers. I totally rebuilt a 27' 1965 Chris and another 33' Chris both from bow to stern, rebuilt the engines myself and I have NEVER come across this one. A Chevy block is a Chevy block regardless of Volvo, Mercury etc. Agree?
I found the port for the dip stick - AND IT IS PLUGGED up with what looks like a metal plug! Has anyone ever heard of this? This is my first Bayliner. It is the 2452 Command Bridge 1988 with a Volvo 5.7. Can I tap this plug and try to remove it?
Is this standard on this model? It looks like I may have to remove the new manifold just to get enough clearance to reach it and or work on drilling it out.
No Bayliner jokes please!!!! :)
Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.. JR

Ayuh,..... Boats, rarely use the hole in the block for the dipstick, it's plumbed into the oil pan, so's it can be used to pump the oil out for oil changes,.....

Many times that hole has an ole bolt glued in with sillyseal, or a plastic plug/ seal pushed into it,...

Get the right oil pan fittin',....

Yer probably gonna have to pull the motor to change it,....

jrr4949

Recruit
Thanks - Just looked on line and found a complete tube with fitting. I have only had older boats with the standard tube on the block and we installed a shut off valve fitting from the drain plug to properly drain the oil with a suction pump from the bottom of the pan. This dip stick tube fitting is a new one for me. Thanks for the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your 1988 volvo should have the dipstick going into the block. the dipstick tube should proceed past the crank to the bottom of the pan. I suspect that someone swapped motors sometime in your boats history.

if you decide to re-install the volvo OE style tube or a different one, you will most likely need to pull the motor. when I had my '88 apart, the pan would have needed to be off to help feed the tube thru the hole in the windage tray

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you bought an 1988 Bayliner it should have came with an OMC Cobra.
How about some pics???
If it is a Volvo then someone changed the setup???
They stopped Volvo's in 86/87
Look on the transom and check the hull#
Volvo used that hole in the block for the dipstick for a long time.
The dipstick was on the port side. Right where the plug is.
You can get the one from Volvo for under $200
Or the OMC stuff for under $100