Volvo Penta 8.1 OSi Fuel Pump Wiring Issue

MHave

Recruit
Recently my starboard fuel pump quit working due to loss of power to the unit. Upon investigation I found 2 things wrong...1) the wiring from the harness to the fuel pump was burned near the quick connector; 2) the fuse for the fuel pump was blown. After replacing the fuse and rewiring the unit, the boat started up immediately and a successful sea trial was done. Upon returning to the dock and shutting down the engines to let them cool prior to flushing, the engine would not re-fire. Any ideas as to the cause of this wire/fuse problem and what the fix is?

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are a couple of possibilities. Perhaps an oversized fuse was used in place of the correct ampacity which overloaded the wire's ability to carry current. Possibly the connector was compromised with a bad crimp inside the weatherpack or its seal could have been breached and corrosion entered the connector. I would also check ground(s) as those could be another weak link in the fuel pump circuit.

Its of course possible to upgrade the gauge of the wire but you must look at the whole circuit, not just a short run of wire where it got burned to have proper protection.

Last edited: