Volvo Penta 260???? Help please

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just picked up this 1979 Sun Runner. It was a quick purchase, with no ability to test the engine etc. It has a Volvo Penta 260 (or at least the valve covers say)

- Is that the correct distributor?
- Any way to visually tell if this is a proper marine engine and not an auto engine (short of pulling the cam out etc)
- Any other feedback you notice would be appreciated.

unnamed-4.jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The Carb, may, or may not be marine, the plastic fuel filter is a No-no,....

The Ignition is definitely, Not marine,.... The vacuum pot is a dead give away,...

Take a picture of the top of the carb, with the flame arrestor off,....

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the help! :)

I'll probably not see that boat again until Saturday, so I'll make a list of things to take pics of. Right now Im debating if I should spend a little money and try to get the engine running, or just purchase a used ready to drop in engine locally and be done with it. Only thinking about that route because I scored the boat so cheap, $300 for the boat and $1500-$2500 for an engine then Id be ready to roll for under $3000 and not wasting time with a garbage engine.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as I stated in your other post. not marine. that is a GM HEI distro.

no need to pull the motor, just make certain the fuel system, ignition, and electrical systems are marine. look for a decal stating SAE-J1171

Scott Danforth

Staff member
also, the in-line filter is not marine and is actually illegal in a boat. make sure the fuel line is A1 marine rated.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info guys! So at this point my list should look as follows

- Get full marine distributor assembly
- Get A1 graded fuel line installed
- Check Carb (Auto or Marine)

So, where should I order up a marine distributor for this engine?

Thanks,

Mike

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the following manufacturers have marine distribuotors

Mallory (division of prestolite)
Delco
Pertronix
Davis Unified Ignition

I went with a Mallory distributor when the original started acting up on my VP 271 I did that route because I had a new set of plug wires and a new coil already so I just needed the distributor. However I like the Davis Unified Ignition products. there is a list of D.U.I. marine distributors.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ortOrder=Ascending&keyword=marine distributor

it is all what you feel comfortable with as a preference. I also went with magnetic trigger vs hall effect.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Distributor won't be here till next wee, so for the time being, is it okay to at least try and get the engine running this weekend with the current distributor on there? In order to diagnose the engines condition etc?

Thanks,

Mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have : AQ260A not sure of the drive.
They came with anything from a 280/290 drive maybe something else? Pics of the drive.
Where you located?
Yes try to get it running.
Unhook the hose at the pump and run a garden hose into the pump.
Your pump will burn up if you have no water.
Or you can remove the impeller.
Make sure the fuel is good.
The carb was a quadrojunk yours is a Holly
Test for spark and have a bit of starting fluid ready.
Oh yea have a fire extinguisher ready.
Leave the spark/flame arrestor in place.
You have fresh water cooling in place.
Your block might be good.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
volvo pentas came with holly carbs for many years.

Maclin

Admiral
Holley could be and probably is the correct carb. From the manuals I have seen from that vintage most of the 305 based engines with 4bbl's had Rochester. The 5.7's had Holleys, 2bbl or 4bbl.

captmello

Captain
VP used the Qjet on the all the V-8s (except 2 barrel versions) including the AQ260 (5.7), and AQ225 (5.0). The models that followed, AQ271 and 570 used Holley and AQ231 and other 5.0 sbc continued using the qjet like Maclin pointed out. So, no the carb isn't stock on this particular motor.

Maclin

Admiral
Thanks Capn Mello. I stepped in it, er I mean, I stand corrected. In it. :)

VP definitley liked Holleys on the 5.7 after the middle 80's on the AQ271 and AQ290, 570/DP, etc,

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for tall the feedback guys. I was at the boat today, and with new batteries the engine still wasn't turning over. So I got upside-down in this tiny engine bay and the start was partially loosened to be taken out, which Im assuming is where the last owner left off. One bolt was out and the other loose.

So firstly, I decided to tighten it back up and see whats what. After tightening it, the starter would spin, but the gear was not engaging. So I attempted to take the starter out, holy crap is it tight. I think it might honestly be easier to just take the motor out, but Im really really close. Had to leave before I could finish because of plans with the wifey and friends (Go SeaHawks!)

Thanks so much for all the info, its soooo helpful for me. So first things first, I need to get a new starter on there and see if the engine will run, then test the compression etc and see whats what. Right?

PS the outdrive is a Volvo 280

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PS, the good news is that it floats! lol. Had it put in so they could fork lift it out. However once it was in, I had them leave it for a couple hours so I cold work on it while on the water. Getting some amazing weather here in Seattle. Cant wait to get this boat safe and running well.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The pic is the parts manual for the 260a and b both show Quadrojunks.
That's what I was going by.