2010 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI Winterizing Steps for a cold Canadian Winter

kcarroll1971

Cadet
Hi there. Anyone know the steps to winterize the engine for above boat. Model is 5.0 GXI-J VIN 4012257885. I believe steps are: 1) two block drain plugs 2) two mainifold drain plugs 3) pull two hoses from impeller housing and drain 4) pull big hose behind impeller housing and drain 5) drain cooling line to electric fuel pump.

With that said, I am unsure how to drain the fuel pump cool line, and am puzzled on how to "Pickle" the fuel injection system.

Thanks much.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
I have the same engine in my new to me boat, my first winterization with this boat will included draining via the block and manifold drains, disconnecting the two raw water pump hoses to drain, draining the big hose on the engine water pump, then running it on the pink RV antifreeze from a 5 gallon bucket until it spits it out the exhaust while it's running on 50:1 2-stroke premixed with gas and stabil in a 1 gallon can. This will be after I do the end of season oil change and put stabil in what remains of the gas in the tank.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
In addittion to the drainage that you guys have already mentioned, I would simply remove the thermostat housing and pour the antifreeze directly into the block until full. That way you know its in there and you do not have to run on muffs. I also like to release the tension on the serp belt and remove the rubber impeller from the pump (keeps vanes from taking a permanent shape) .

Change the engine oil, outdrive oil, engine oil filter and fuel filter. Then pickel the engine by running it on a 50:1 gas/oil mixture until it smokes. You can assist this process by pouring two cycle oil directly into the new fuel filter before installing.

kcarroll1971

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am on right track. I am also putting in -100 Antifreeze from west marine

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Actually you do not have to pull the 'stat. What I do is drain, poke each drain on the sides of the block. Then disconnect the lower end of the big hose from the thermo housing to the water pump, that will drain a lot of water. Then re-connect the lower end and disconnect the end by the thermo neck. Pour a bit of AF in the hose, you will see it come out the block drains, this will push out the last of the water. Put some OMC gasket sealer on the plugs. Replace them and just fill it through the upper end of that hose till you see AF come out of the thermo housing neck. Re-connect the hose and you are done. Straight from my OMC Cobra factory shop manual....been doing it that way over 10 years.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
lou c said:

Actually you do not have to pull the 'stat. What I do is drain, poke each drain on the sides of the block. Then disconnect the lower end of the big hose from the thermo housing to the water pump, that will drain a lot of water.

The engine is a GXI, all GXI's come standard with closed cooling. Run the winterizing cocktail through the engine, drain the raw water side of the system, and you are more or less done.