Buying a used 1999 176 Larson flyer with Volvo Penta 4.3GS/ SX

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not new to boats, but never owned a Volvo Penta set up. Looking at a 1999 Larson 176 4.3 GS with SX outdrive for lake use. Hour meter shows 430 some. I am familiar with i/o's so checked bellows best I could, don't look dry rotted, engine starts nice, runs nice, taking for water test in couple days. My main question right now as I was looking over controls as there doesn't seem to be a trim limit vs trailer type trim. Seller says he uses the same up trim button to trim in the water and to trim all the way up to trailer mode. All my mercruiser set ups always had a separate trailer buttom with a trim limiter so as to not accidently trim too far while underway.... is this not the case with Volvo Penta's or am I missing something? Thanks.

Been a while since I've been here, haven't owned a trailerable boat in a few years...Oh yeah, seller said his trim guage does't work hence I wouldn't want to accidently trim too far... but I do want to give boat a good shake down cruise and check the trim, steering, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance...water shake down is supposed to be tomorrow (9/17/2014).

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, my other current boat is a 1977 Pacemaker 31' Sportfish with twin 350 inboards/velvet drives... nothing to trim there...and can't use it in small lakes so that's why looking at the smaller Larson for skiing/ tubing etc.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The trim switch is normal.
Once underway the outdrive can be lifted too far but you'll know it when it happens.
Just slowly trim up and when it starts to cavitate just drop it down a bit.
The gauge is an easy fix.
Test the transom for rot.Ice pic.
Don't do any damage just poke and see if it goes in.
Just know this, Volvo parts are a lot more expensive than a Mercruiser.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Ended up buying. Boat planes real quick and doesn't even take much trim to start porpoising... Maybe some smart tabs to help keep bow down so I can run more trim.

Attachments

• photo209042.jpg
    photo209042.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Maybe some smart tabs to help keep bow down so I can run more trim.
I would use the boat without smart tabs. If the boat runs fine with little or no trim and gets on plane easy, that is fine. Kind of crazy to install one device to push the bow down and then use the trim to try to push it back up right?

I would consider not fixing the trim gauge. The senders are expensive and don't last long.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well what I was thinking is the tabs would not only help keep the bow from porpoising, they would possibly lift up on the stern pushing it out of the water some; that coupled with the fact I could trim the drive up further out of the water might make for some extra speed?? Anyhow, thats a topic for another day.