VOLVO PENTA 3.0 GS - ENGINE ISSUE

EHDelgado

Recruit
Good Evening to All,

I am posting for my first time, so I must apologize in advance for not being too familiar with any posting etiquette. I have a 2002 Larson 180 SEI with a Volvo Penta 3.0 GS inboard/outboard engine with a SX Cobra drive unit. A few weeks ago, as I was coming back to the marina the engine began rattling heavily. I found a local marine mechanic "SUPPOSEDLY" who informed me the bolts for the flywheel housing had broken. A week and over $1000 later, this gentleman fixed and re-mounted the engine. Well, now it won't start and it jumps as if the engine wants to turn on its side. The motor mounts are fine. I have done a full tune up and the engine still won't turn on and continues to jump. It is really hard to find a I/O mechanic for some reason. At this point, I really can't trust this man. He is telling me the engine may need to be re-built. I am trying to understand if he is throwing smoke up my ***. Could really use your help! What can the issue be?

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So its jumping while cranking but no single cylinder will fire, for example its not sputtering. You could try a troubleshooting step like marking first then remove the plug wires so you are confident it won't fire. Don't do that for super long as you are consuming raw fuel the entire time without burning it in combustion but it will help to separate whether the engine has issues when cranking or if its an issue while trying to run. While you have the plug wires off make sure that your mechanic didn't cross them up between the distributor and the actual cylinders. #1 cylinder is closest to the belt drive end.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your gonna get cancer of the butt if you continue with this guy.
Where you located? You might be close to someone who can help and not screw U.

EHDelgado

Recruit
I am in Miami, Florida. Would appreciate it of you pointed me to someone trustworthy and honest. Thanks in advance for your help.

EHDelgado

Recruit
Salie Marina,

Thanks. So let me make sure I understand correctly. Remove the spark plug cables and crank the engine? What am I looking for?

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You posted "the engine wont turn on and continues to jump"

Im guessing you mean it won't idle. I was suggesting you remove plug wires and crank the engine looking for problems or strange noises. That way you won't have to deal with wonky firing. The second part of the suggestion was to then validate the plug wires all go back to where you took them off. If you reverse two plug wires in a 4 cylinder engine some really rough running can result. Maybe the engine isn't mounted to the boat, I'm not sure. If that's the case some gentle very careful and judicious prying around might determine where the loose structural connection is.

I'm not sure if that will help you or not, you have to decide, I was trying to suggest something easy and helpful based on the information given.

Last edited: