Can a VP DP-C outdrive be installed to replace a DP-A outdrive?

thomas.carona

Recruit
I have a 290 transom shield with a inoperable DP-A outdrive. Instead of having the DP-A rebuilt, I want to replace the outdrive with a reman DP-C outdrive which local mechanical shop is offering as a replacement. Are the two outdrives compatible or do I have to make changes to either the transom shield or DP-C outdrive to ensure it will fit and be fully functional?

captmello

Captain
They are different. The intermediate assembly is different.. The 290 transom shield is different from both outdrives.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Why don't you want to rebuild the "A" ?

thomas.carona

Recruit
I found a place in Baltimore who can provide a reman DP-C for as much or less than it would cost to rebuild the DP-A ( and I can use the damaged DP-A to cover the core charge...)

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Did you ask them about using a DP-C? 2 differences I know of, the A has smaller diameter pivot pins and the suspension fork, tilt bracket is way different , but those 2 differences are on the suspension fork/tilt latch bracket,,,question is: Can you use the suspension fork and tilt bracket from the A on the C . Are the trim rams in good shape?

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice
Do you know any info besides that above link for the step drive? Looks interesting

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Cannot be swapped out to a C drive. Everything from the transom shield out would have to be replaced along with the drive which makes is very expensive. And you cannot put the C upper on the A intermediate.

The best case scenario for you is to grab the DP-C lower and pop it on you intermediate housing and then find an A upper or have yours rebuilt. If you cannot find one, I have one that is about to be rebuilt.

Are you sure the upper and lower on your A drive is gone? Most of the time you lose one section and do not destroy the drive completely.