06 Volvo Penta oil alarm problem

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2006 Stingray with a Volvo/Penta 3.0. At idle, oil pressure reads 0-5 psi, so the alarm is going off. WOT it reads 30. I changed the sending unit and sensor and it still continues. Is the gauge bad, oil pump going or some other issue??

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
2006 Volvo/Penta oil alarm issue

I have 2006 Stingray with a Volvo/Penta 3.0. At idle, oil pressure reads 0-5 psi, so the alarm is going off. WOT it reads 30. I changed the sending unit and sensor and it still continues. Is the gauge bad, oil pump going or some other issue??

alldodge

Staff member
I have 2006 Stingray with a Volvo/Penta 3.0. At idle, oil pressure reads 0-5 psi, so the alarm is going off. WOT it reads 30. I changed the sending unit and sensor and it still continues. Is the gauge bad, oil pump going or some other issue??[/QUOTE]

Since you replaced the sending unit my guess is you have an oil pressure issue and that would be related to a worn engine or incorrect viscosity oil. To know for sure with pressure you need a mechanical gauge which you can install where the sender is. What weight of oil are you using and when was it last changed with filter?

Last edited:

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
Bought in it June of this year from the dealer so whatever they run. I think it's 20W50

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
Bought in it June of this year from the dealer so whatever they run. I think it's 20W50. The motor only has 95 hours on it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What's the oil Level in the motor,..??

Bondo

Staff member
Oil level is normal

Ayuh,..... There are 2 marks on the dipstick, Full, 'n Add.....

Where, Exactly is the oil level,..??
'tween the 2 marks,..??
At the Full mark,..??
just abit over the Full mark,..??

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before panicking, I would tee in a mechanical gauge for backup. In my technical vocabulary, "sending unit = sensor". Its possible that the gauge cluster or its wiring is not getting a proper read on the output from the sensor or is making an erroneous reading from the sensor voltage. Having a mechanical gauge as a backup would be a fast reliable way to answer a lot of those questions.

I would then start on the path of increasing difficulty of repairs. Change oil and filter with new, known good parts. Inspect and probe the filter bypass if you can see it or reach it. I would pop the rocker arm/valve cover and see if the lifters are pumping up oil to the overhead. Next would be the nasty task of dropping the oil pan which would most likely mean removing the engine from the boat to look at the oil pump itself.

I would think at some point true lack of engine oil pressure would mean the hydraulic lifters couldn't keep "pumped up" and they would start to collapse with a lot of rattle from the valvetrain as lost motion/backlash results on all cylinders.

Last edited:

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I will check the exact oil level in the next day and change out the oil and filter, hook up a gauge and see where it's at.

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the pressure is fine (50PSI at 300rpm). So, Is the gauge bad or maybe a wire?

alldodge

Staff member
I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the pressure is fine (50PSI at 300rpm). So, Is the gauge bad or maybe a wire?

From your first post it was my understanding that you replaced the "sending unit and sender". Since one of them is a variable resister which goes to the gauge, and the other is a switch set at 5psi or so, I assumed you replaced both. The switch makes a ground when the psi falls low enough and thereby turning on the alarm horn. If you did replace both then you have a bad switch. If you didn't replace the switch then you need to do so.

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced #15 and #16 which is listed at sensor and sending unit. Is that what you are referring to as the sender? or is there another switch/part that I missed? volvo pic.png

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I replaced #15 and #16 which is listed at sensor and sending unit. Is that what you are referring to as the sender? or is there another switch/part that I missed?

Unable to see your pic clearly and also don't know the exact 3.0 you have but I'll put it this way. There are two senders attached by a tee fitting coming from the rear of the engine at the oil pressure port. One is large (item 13) and that one would be the sender for the gauge. The other is smaller (item 14), this one is the switch which will sound the alarm.
Volvo oil sender.png

Attachments

• Volvo oil sender.png
    Volvo oil sender.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Volvo oil sender.png
    Volvo oil sender.png
  • Volvo oil sender.png
    Volvo oil sender.png

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced both of them and still have BS readings on the gauge.

alldodge

Staff member
I replaced both of them and still have BS readings on the gauge.

The big one is for the gauge, so since you replaced it you could use a new gauge. On the other hand you know your pressure is good so you OK.

Now with small one is the switch and your reading higher then 5psi so the alarm should not be going off unless the new switch you just replaced is also bad.

Edit: just to clarify the gauge does not make the alarm go off. Also you stated your getting 50psi at 300rpm or is that 3000? What pressure are you getting at idle when it is warmed up on the mechanical gauge?

Last edited:

Dmunch

Seaman Apprentice
AllDodge, I replaced #13 and 14 and I am still getting bogus pressure readings. Any thoughts?