V-Ring Questions for Volvo DP-D1 Steering Fork (Yoke)

jmsmieja

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I successfully removed the steering fork for my VP DP-D1 so I could replace the plastic bushings. The main questions I have are regarding the V-Ring (lip) seal that keeps water from going up the steering fork shaft and into the bilge (item 16 on the attached parts breakdown). I have the service manual for this drive but it doesn't mention the seal at all. I also searched the forums but there doesn't seem to be the exact details I'm looking for posted anywhere.

1) Which way does this lip seal install? The one I removed had the flat face up against the counterbore seat on the transom assembly. Thus the opening where you can see the holding ring is facing down toward the water. I'm fairly certain this is correct, but it's opposite of what I've seen on the few small engines I've worked on.

2) Do I need to glue this seal at all? I've read that some people glue them. And one person claimed to glue it to the shaft which I'm pretty sure is wrong. Is gluing it necessary and if so it should be glued to the transom assembly, correct? Any suggestions on what glue to use?

3) I tried pressing the seal into the transom assembly, but it won't go. It appears that some people install the seal onto the fork shaft, and the it presses in when the steering fork is re-installed (via a rubber mallet). I was a little concerned that doing it this way won't guarantee that the seal is pressed all the way onto the seat of the transom assembly. Any thoughts or tips here?

4) On a related note, I also read that someone was advised to epoxy the 2 plastic bushings into the transom assembly for the steering fork shaft. Is this really necessary? Mine have the notch and nub so that they can't rotate, and they seem pretty darn snug to me.

Thanks for your help!

Jameson S.

1994 Chris Craft 268 Concept
VP 7.4GL with DP-D1 Stern Drive

Attachments

• photo208855.jpg
    photo208855.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 2

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to note the pic shows up as microscopic/undecipherable on my PC. Probably get better answers if you can resize it a bit or retake at closer zoom.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no need to glue either the bushings or the seal. just slide seal over shaft on helmet, raise up, have someone hold it in the right location as you slide the steering arm back over the shaft.

I did make up a small slide hammer tool to put in my bushings.

the seal will do its job, the new bushings will do theirs, however you will have to grease the steering shaft via the zirc fitting.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No sealer or glue.
I use a small hydraulic jack to hold the yoke up in place.
Of course you need to put something under the jack to protect the housing.