4.3 GL alternator question

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
After spending Labor Day weekend on the lake it was time to put the boat back on the trailer and head home. While idleing over to the ramp it smelled something hot. I lifted the hatch to discover a smoking alternator! Got it on the trailer and towed her home. I pulled the alternator this morning and had it tested at the local rebuild shop. The regulator was toast. They quoted me $225 to rebuild it. Is this reasonable? Alternator prices are all over the map...do you get what you pay for? Other than that the 4.3 GL/SX was super dependable all season. What to do?

MrCableTek

Cadet
I'm not sure what the rebuild shops charge normally but I have seen that it's cheaper to buy new sometimes. Check the link out.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "NEW" are usually rebuilds.
Or they are the crap from China.
I just replaced 5 on my kids Ford escape.
They would work for 10-15 min then stop charging.
The first 4 were rebuilds.The 5th supposedly new.
All Chinese rebuilds or new.
The car wanted OEM equipment.
I paid 270$ for a rebuilt Ford and absolutely no problems.
The rebuild shop will probably use good stuff in the rebuild.
The Volvo alt is so expensive they won't post a price????
Like you said: You get what you pay for.

Oh yea, ARCO is one of the better rebuilders.

If you go the cheap way, use the $ you saved to buy towing insurance. :)

Bowboss

Cadet
That is definitely NOT a good deal. However. THIS is a good deal, And it's a mando. Which means it's the OEM supplier to most volvo and mercury engines.

http://www.amazon.com/Mando-Mercury...2365&sr=8-16&keywords=mando+marine+alternator

and this down below is an even greater deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercruiser-Al...82365&sr=8-1&keywords=mando+marine+alternator

I honestly don't buy the peoples nonsense when they say "only buy volvo and mercury OEM" Because alot of these brands actually make the parts for them. The only difference is that volvo or mercury just slaps their name on it and charges almost double!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, ok, ok...I bought a cheap alternator and it lasted a season. Exactly how long my buddy told me it would. I took both the OE and cheap reman alternators to a different shop and they called me back with a quote of $130 to build the OE alternator. He said the OE was well used and needed a total rebuild, while the reman was hardly used but had some different issues and that the OE was a superior component. I am going to pick it up and install it tomorrow! Hopefully this one will last longer than a year!