2008 Volvo Penta 5.0GXi Boggs, backfires and does reach full RPM at open throttle

Razor357

Recruit
Boat ran awesome for since 2010 "purchase with 50 hours on it", to mercury high 5 stainless prop 19 pitch and it could really get of the hole (time to plane was about 3 seconds). This year, out of the blue, on full plane and about 4000 rpm, it suddenly started to decrease all the way done to 800-2500 rpm at full throttle and I had to constantly work the throttle to keep moving. By the time we got to shore it sucking air like a vacuum from the top of the engine. I then changed out the rotor, cap, and spark plugs, but that made no difference. When my mechanic went to change out the fuel/water filter it was less than hand tight. The fuel had about 2% water in the filter. Changed the filter and suction sound went away. He hooked the computer to the engine and we went up and down the lake a few times. I told him it was sluggish and only 4400 RPM at full throttle. It was know taking about 10-15 seconds to get on plane! He said that the computer was not shown any faults or errors and after examining the parameters for awhile, said the boat was running fine. Why is it that it can no longer reach the full spec RPM of 5000 RPM and took so long to get out of the hole and seemed so gutless. It also backfires in quick successions only when getting out the hole.

Bondo

Staff member
Boat ran awesome for since 2010 "purchase with 50 hours on it", to mercury high 5 stainless prop 19 pitch and it could really get of the hole (time to plane was about 3 seconds). This year, out of the blue, on full plane and about 4000 rpm, it suddenly started to decrease all the way done to 800-2500 rpm at full throttle and I had to constantly work the throttle to keep moving. By the time we got to shore it sucking air like a vacuum from the top of the engine. I then changed out the rotor, cap, and spark plugs, but that made no difference. When my mechanic went to change out the fuel/water filter it was less than hand tight. The fuel had about 2% water in the filter. Changed the filter and suction sound went away. He hooked the computer to the engine and we went up and down the lake a few times. I told him it was sluggish and only 4400 RPM at full throttle. It was know taking about 10-15 seconds to get on plane! He said that the computer was not shown any faults or errors and after examining the parameters for awhile, said the boat was running fine. Why is it that it can no longer reach the full spec RPM of 5000 RPM and took so long to get out of the hole and seemed so gutless. It also backfires in quick successions only when getting out the hole.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like there might still be some water, or other fuel restriction,....

Razor357

Recruit
I forgot to mention that a fuel gauge was hooked up throughout the entire test drive and it read very good as well.

Razor357

Recruit
Thank you, is there a way to make sure there is no water in the fuel system, I can guarantee there is a little left in the tank. I ended up winterizing it last year with about 3/4 of a tank! Can you say come on in Mr. Condensation! LOL

Fun Times

Staff member
HI there, welcome to iboats!:)

How much fuel do you have in the fuel tank?

As a test, you'll want to try running the engine under load on a separate fuel tank supply with fresh full. Also try using an outboard primer bulb to help put a little more pressure to the low fuel pump system. You'll also want to check the fuel pressures of the low and high fuel pumps while under load.

Since you had water contamination, the fuel system might be affected now. Unfortunately you won't find a fuel problem using the scan tool.

One area of typical concern could be the low pressure fuel pump inlet fuel supply screen. The screen may be clogged with debris.
Another concern to know about has been finding peeling paint inside the fuel pump cell affecting the fuel system.

You'll also want to figure out how the water got in the fuel tank and try to find a way to prevent that from happing again rather it be using a different fueling station, the way the boat/fuel is stored causing water condensation, is the fuel vent hole getting water in it from boating use, rain or washing the boat.

Keep checking your fuel filter every so often so you know the water has been removed.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/FUELADD/Fuel+Treatment+and+Additives

Let us know what you find, good luck.:)