I really need help on this one.

Seaman84

Seaman
My 5.0 Volvo Penta GL-E, Is acting up. I let it sit from memorial weekend, till August 9th, I needed a new starter and got it, Now the boat started perfectly fine, we started it up and let it run with muffs on a few times everything was perfect. Yesterday we got it started, it was idling perfect it sounds healthy. Everything was good, Till I rev'd up the engine. It was revving fine & then boom just stalled. As if there was no gas. Now it doesn't want to start, it cranks and everything and it'll start for a few seconds then does out again. The last time spark plugs were changed and carb was adjusted was in summer of 2012. What do you guys recommend and where should I start.. I'm really worried, my battery and connections are fine. I'm just worried we might have put a wrong connection or something on the started but it's all fine. It just dies out... Another thing also is when I switched the fuel and water separator filter in May, It was a new filter that was purchased in 2012. It was still in the box new but it had dust particles on it from sitting, what could cause all this, and where should I start? Thank you any help is truly appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, I'd start with looking at the fuel filter to see if there is any fuel in it, make sure there is only one O'Ring used and not two. Also be sure the filter is on tight enough as I've seen a few loose volvo filters sucking air causing the engine to die a few minutes later after first start up.

Make sure the fuel tank "vent" is not blocked with debris. Try opening the fuel fill cap while running the engine and also try blowing some air into the tank filler to see if air comes out of the vent.

Remove the flame arrestor from the carb and pump the throttle to see if you can see fuel being pumped down the carb.

Use a multimeter to see if you have 12 volt power going to the fuel pump while cranking and running if you get the engine rerunning. If you lose 12v power then the engine dies a bit later, you'll have track the power to the fuel pump using a service manual wiring diagram for your engine model.

Hope you find the problem soon, good luck.:)

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fun times is pretty much on track. 3 things make an engine run, Air, Fuel, and spark. It sounds like a fuel related issue if it will start and run a couple seconds then die. Taking the flame arrestor off and having someone else turn the engine over while pumping the throttle (or you disconnect the linkage/cable and work the carb at the motor) would be my first test. Look down the barrels and as you pump it you should see fuel at least dripping if not spraying into the venturis. If there isn't fuel, then there is definitely a problem somewhere between the tank and the carb. Now you just have to narrow that down. If there is fuel, then pull a plug wire out and a plug. You can ground the plug against the engine block or cylinder head and watch for spark while someone else cranks on the motor. It will run without 1 cylinder plugged in and this would actually help so you can see if the spark gets weak or stops immediately. When the engine dies, does it seem to studder and bog a little and then die, or is it just instantly dead?

Seaman84

Seaman
Fun times is pretty much on track. 3 things make an engine run, Air, Fuel, and spark. It sounds like a fuel related issue if it will start and run a couple seconds then die. Taking the flame arrestor off and having someone else turn the engine over while pumping the throttle (or you disconnect the linkage/cable and work the carb at the motor) would be my first test. Look down the barrels and as you pump it you should see fuel at least dripping if not spraying into the venturis. If there isn't fuel, then there is definitely a problem somewhere between the tank and the carb. Now you just have to narrow that down. If there is fuel, then pull a plug wire out and a plug. You can ground the plug against the engine block or cylinder head and watch for spark while someone else cranks on the motor. It will run without 1 cylinder plugged in and this would actually help so you can see if the spark gets weak or stops immediately. When the engine dies, does it seem to studder and bog a little and then die, or is it just instantly dead?
It doesn't sputter at all, just a silent die, like if it just ran out of gas.

BigDeal3315

Cadet
I don't know if this would apply to you, but I had a bad fuse box in my 5.7 GXi that caused similar systems. When the engine got warm the connections inside the fuse box started getting flaky, and took out power to my fuel pump, making it appear like I'd run out of gas. Check out Volvo parts bulletin P-37-2-2 to see if this might apply to you.