Now I might have bad gas

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]My mechanic rebuilt my upper unit and he lake tested the boat today. This was it's first time in the water in 2 years. He said shifting/unit was great but he experienced some 'fuel starvation type symptoms' right as he took it on plane and took it immediately back to the dock in an attempt to keep from being stranded. Here is my plan. Please tell me if you think I have left anything out and/or are doing something stupid or overkill. For what it is worth I have always used StaBil marine stabilizer.

1. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and drain all that I can.
2. Change the fuel separator / filter.
3. Possibly replace the rubber lines (but will probably just drain them out).
4. Drain the float bowls of the carb (Holley 4160).
5. Clean all surfaces and orifices of the carb that I can get to without removing it.
6. Not related - but - Oil Change
7. New gas in the tank.

Is there something I should check without going to this trouble first? Easier way? I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is actually what my mechanic said....but I chose not to listen as I do sometimes. Why do you recommend this?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it still runs bad, you may be able to rule out the tank and then you wouldn't have to drain it. If it runs well, you just have to deal with the tank.

Bondo

Staff member
That is actually what my mechanic said....but I chose not to listen as I do sometimes. Why do you recommend this?

Ayuh,.... Like Bruce says, it's for Diagnostic purposes, to isolate the real Problem,....

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess I got lucky. I sprayed carb cleaner generously all over and in the carb. I changed the fuel filter/water separator and there was just a tiny bit of sediment and the gas looked good. I cut the fuel line so I could connect a pump to get rid of the old gas. I pumped out about 15 gallons and all looked great so I decided not to take out any more. I replaced the fuel line and took it to the gas station and added about 20 gallons with stabil. Then I took it to the lake. It ran perfectly the rest of Sunday. I went out again today - again all was perfect. Thankfully!!!!! I think the problem may have been the fuel line from the tank to the pump.