Flywheel size on a Volvo Penta 430

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a Volvo Penta 430 (4.3 V6), mated to a DP drive, the flywheel is 12 inch. When I had it in my hands some time ago, I forgot to look for numbers. Does anyone know if this is just a V8 flywheel ? When searching various marineshops online, only a 14" flywheel is available for the 4.3 V6 engine. According to the Volvo parts catalogue online, the flywheel for 430 engine is obsolete.

Bondo

Staff member
On a Volvo Penta 430 (4.3 V6), mated to a DP drive, the flywheel is 12 inch. When I had it in my hands some time ago, I forgot to look for numbers. Does anyone know if this is just a V8 flywheel ? When searching various marineshops online, only a 14" flywheel is available for the 4.3 V6 engine. According to the Volvo parts catalogue online, the flywheel for 430 engine is obsolete.

Nope, the 4.3l motors are balanced very differently than the V8s,...

What wrong with Yer flywheel,..??

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
My flywheel is fine :)

It's actually a friend who's about to install a 4.3 V6, where there is a 120 hp pre AlphaOne Mercruiser setup. He plan to use as much of the old stuff as possible, since it's in good condition. I have a feeling that the old bellhousing isn't big enough for the 14 inch V6 flywheel, so if it was possible to find out where the small Volvo V6 flywheel comes from, at least one problem was easy solved.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I wish I had an answer for ya,... Ironically, A Bud over at another site is in search of a 12" flywheel for a 454 to do a Volvo swap,....

Yer Bud could buy a 12" flywheel that fits the crank pattern, 'n have it balanced for his particular 4.3l,....
The 4.3l has some weird flywheels,... Balance changed over the various years/ vintages,...

He's gonna need the Sierra retro-fit crank mounted coupler, if that 4.3l is a 1pc. RM seal,..

Last edited: