Volvo Penta 4.3GL 2001 High oil pressure indication

Lostinbahrain

Recruit
Hi all, Hope you can help. I have just imported a Four Winns 180 from the USA to he Middle East. On putting the boat in the water for the first time I was a concerned about e oil pressure reading. On the VDO dash there are no psi readings but the pressure is indicating the 3/4 mark at idle and between this and he full closing to 2000 RPM. As I don't know the boat i haven't pushed any further than this and being formerly an outboard guy I'm not sure where to start. The oil has been checked and looks clean, level is good (if not a little close/at the max fill level). Temp was looking fine when running once the gauge had un-stuck itself Nd the engine sounds and looks like it's running very well. The boat has not been used for at least 6mths due to a long time to import and register it here. If anyone has any ideas on where to start then any advice appreciated. I'm thinking oil pressure sensor but I'm not sure where this is located. Also could it be oil filter. Is it worth an oil change anyway? Thanks in advance.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For your own peace of mind I would change oil and filter to eliminate them.
3/4 of the gauge indicated pressure at idle on a cold engine is not unusual but should be around 1/4 on a hot engine and 1/2 to 3/4 at 3000RPM. It might just be that the pressure sender has been changed for one that does not correspond with the VDO gauge. Google VDO and check their catalogues and you will see what I mean. Some gauges are 0 -80psi, 0 - 100psi, 0 - 150psi,and they all need to have a sender that is matched.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi all, Hope you can help. I have just imported a Four Winns 180 from the USA to he Middle East. On putting the boat in the water for the first time I was a concerned about e oil pressure reading. On the VDO dash there are no psi readings but the pressure is indicating the 3/4 mark at idle and between this and he full closing to 2000 RPM. As I don't know the boat i haven't pushed any further than this and being formerly an outboard guy I'm not sure where to start. The oil has been checked and looks clean, level is good (if not a little close/at the max fill level). Temp was looking fine when running once the gauge had un-stuck itself Nd the engine sounds and looks like it's running very well. The boat has not been used for at least 6mths due to a long time to import and register it here. If anyone has any ideas on where to start then any advice appreciated. I'm thinking oil pressure sensor but I'm not sure where this is located. Also could it be oil filter. Is it worth an oil change anyway? Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Just Tee in a mechanical gauge, at the electrical gauge's sendin' unit, 'n cross-check 'tween the 2 gauges,....