Volvo Penta 3.0 fuel carb issue

Igopogo

Cadet
My 2008 Volvo 3.0 at 110hrs floods and stalls. you can see gass just pouring in through the carb. I have removed the float bowl, checked for a stuck float, inspected the accelerator pump and everything seems OK... upon reassembly it runs great for 15 seconds or so, seams like once the bowl fills gas starts flooding the engine.
questions:
there is not sight plug on the bowl, could I have the level that for off? I "dry" set it level with the bowl
could the fuel pressure some how have spiked way up?
what else could it be?

Thanks for any input.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I believe there is a plastic line from your fuel pump to the float bowl. If the fuel pump diaphram breaks or leaks, it sends fuel to the carb throat-for safety. Is there fuel in that line?

Igopogo

Cadet
Fleetwin, Thanks for the help,
I took the float and bowl assembly apart for a good cleaning and reassembly. I will have it together on the boat later today.
My second thought was the fuel pump. I am new this this sort of setup. The plastic line is a return line to the pump correct? and that line should be empty ( no fuel in it) under normal operations?

Igopogo

Cadet
Problem Solved! - Replaced O-ring on fuel inlet assembly and new bowl gaskets - All is working. upon inspection there was a small split in the gasket that may have been the cause

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great. Thanks for the feedback.

That line is in case the fuel pump diapragm ruptures. Unique to marine.