Excessive play on DP-A

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just had to replace the sliding sleeve and the shoe in my old DP-A. My mechanic-which came with very high recommendations-called me yesterday and told me that there is an additional problem. There is excessive play between the nut and the upper ball bearing. From what I have seen it is supposed to be between 4 thousanths and 20 thousanths. Mine is at 24. What is this indicative of and what do I need to do to fix it. The VP manual says this could indicate a worn bearing but the bearings look like new. Does anyone have a new bearing they could mic for thickness and comparison. If all else fails, maybe I need to replace that too. That bearing is REAL expensive though... Thanks in advance for your help.

captmello

Captain
I did mine a few years back. The washer on the other end is soft and can get worn. I also replace the two clips that retain the washer.
#45, 46 in the link.

Mine measured .028 before I did it and and after it was within specs. Its a fairly easy repair.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did mine a few years back. The washer on the other end is soft and can get worn. I also replace the two clips that retain the washer.
#45, 46 in the link.

Mine measured .028 before I did it and and after it was within specs. Its a fairly easy repair.

You were exactly right!! Mine is now .006!! Thanks again for your help!!!!