Re-power Time Need input YOUTUBE video updated.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today out on the water I hit 1008.5 hours and I developed a loud rattle in the back side of the motor. Engine is a Volvo 5.7L GLI (260hp?) in a 1997 Blue Water Monte-Carlo open bow ski boat.

Options are as follows.
1. Replace short block and do a full rebuild. Short block is externally cracked and patched from previous owner. Most places want $2,000 with a rebuildable core.

2. Upgrade displacement and ditch the T.B.I. and go with a Marine Holley carb and make a little more power (300hp) with a cam upgrade and head work.
-- Can even go up to about a 350hp set up with different heads and cam.

3. Upgrade heads and cam and keep the factory T.B.I. and try to get around 280hp with a cam upgrade.

The Volvo SX drive is capable of handling over 400hp and I am wanting a little more power out of this set up. I am also debating on getting a Duo-Prop lower to replace the single prop set-up for more low end grunt for pulling the tubes and skiers.

There are numerous short blocks for sale around Salt Lake City for $700-$1000 and I would need to re-cam the motor and redo my heads and install them on the short block. Problem is none of them can quote what the compression ratio will be until we get the heads gone through and put onto the motor.

Either way I need to do this, but I need a little input on the different ideas and how hard is it to swap over to a carb'd motor.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Dave: I'm from Utah also. Last month I bought a Cobalt with a bad Engine, Block was cracked, Every mechanic told me to go to Cleggs machine shop in Orem.Best advise I ever had. I pulled the engine and took it to them. They thought we could use the heads, but after they magnafluxed them they were cracked. The engine had only 200 hrs on it, so they were able to use some of the internals, They are a family run business, and have the best reputation for quality work. The total cost was 2060.00 and the new engine runs great. They took us on a tour of their shop. (way clean) they have the right tools to remanufacture engines right onsite.
The engine I bought, was a 310hp. vortec. They also did strocker versions of the5.7 also. Took them about ten days, and they have a 1 year warranty. When I picked up the engine in was all wrapped in plastic, and painted Volvo charcoal with brass freeze plugs. Runs so smooth. Why is it you are thinking about replacing throttle body fuel injection? Good luck Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
As an added thought, I looked also online for a longblock engine replacement. lots of options there. But my next door neighbor is the best mechanic I know, and he has used some engines bought online. He said that if you have any problems, forget any warranty they might claim. You have to pay double shipping ( If ) they approve your claim. That was a good reason to stay at home. Dave R.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dave-R. I will look into Cleggs in Orem. I know exactly where they are. I a thinking about ditching the TBI because it is overly expensive to tune it past the pre-programmed 260HP set up. My last boat we took the factory 220HP motor and took it to over 300HP. That boat had a carb on it. I just need a little more power to perform the way I want when I am pulling the 5 man sea sled.

jgresham75

Seaman
Dave,

Had to replace my motor two years ago, 5.7 vortec. Decided to go brand new after lots of research. Got a new GM marine long block (block and heads) for $2600 plus about $150 shipping. This is not much more money than rebuilt mentioned in your option 2, and no can never truly tell how well a job they did on the rebuild. Was less work, didn't have to worry about core and came with valve covers, water pump, timing cover. Only had to put on intake. Not sure if I can say where I got it in the forum but they were out of Michigan. My two cents is, for a little more money, can go brand new and get piece of mind it was done by the factory, even if the "factory' may be in Mexico.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://youtu.be/k6FNjHk8qYY

Link to motor turning over. #1 Cyl is making the noise. Engine under load on the lake yesterday made a rattle noise. Pulled the valve cover on that side and had my girlfriend turn the engine over with the coil disconnected. Is this a repower/rebuild fix or ???

Last edited: