Starter Griding with crack in Starter housing???

cchinny

Cadet
So, I rebuilt my Rochester quadrajet carb and cranked my boat for a while before I got it to start (Volvo 431A 4.3 V6). Ran like a top once it got going. Turned it off and started right up again to test it out on the lake. The next day I put the boat in the water and there is a horrible grinding noise and it is hard to start again. It usually grinds and occasionally will catch. Later I notice a crack on the starter housing (see pics). What would cause this and would this be the cause of my grinding starter? Do I need a whole new starter or can I just replace/repair part?

cchinny

Cadet
Okay I got the pics to show up. Do I need to buy a new starter, or is there a bigger problem that caused my starter housing to crack? I hope this is the cause of the grinding noise. Is there a way to repair this and is it really bad to keep using it for a few more weekends?

Bondo

Staff member
Okay I got the pics to show up. Do I need to buy a new starter, or is there a bigger problem that caused my starter housing to crack? I hope this is the cause of the grinding noise. Is there a way to repair this and is it really bad to keep using it for a few more weekends?

Ayuh,.... replace the starter,.... Usin' it, as is, is doin' more damage,..... that's why it's Grindin',.....

captmello

Captain
I guess it will be bad the day it stops working all together. I'd replace it.