Foamed Oil or Cracked Block - Cappuccino or egg whites anyone?

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta 4.3 Liter PEFS stern drive.

I over heated the engine during the first run this spring (May). The supply hose to the thermostat housing came off. The couplings between the risers and the exhaust pipes melted a bit but the engine alarm never went off. I waited five minutes or so, re-installed the hose and re-started the engine. It has been running fine ever since. Of course, the rubber couplings were replaced.

In June, I reset the idle mixture using a vacuum gauge and frankly it has never idled better. I check the oil and it was fine but over the max fill line a bit.

After about 10~20 hours of operation this summer, the engine alarm went off (low and very feebly). I eventual found that disconnecting the oil sensor wire silenced the alarm. I then checked the oil level and found cappuccino colored oil on the dip stick. Opening the fill port on the rocker box showed whipped egg whites inside.

I then did four back to back oil changes to clear out what I hoped was "foamed oil" due to excess oil level. see attached picture. Between each oil change I ran the engine for five or ten minutes to try to mix the foam into the oil to flush it out.

As the picture shows there has been no real change. The engine idles just fine (better than in years). I am afraid that the block cracked and is leaking water into the oil pan.

Before I pay a mechanic, who will very likely change the block, is there anything else I should try? Or should I just move on with it and get it torn down?

Attachments

• IMG-20140731-01259.jpg
    IMG-20140731-01259.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
YOU HAVE H2O in the oil. Second guess is that the boat was improperly winterized and you either have a cracked block, head, manifold(s), and/or riser(s)...time to pull and assess the damage. Start with manifolds/risers, heads then block...the 4.3L, most of the time, cracks in the valley between cylinders and lifters (tappets).

Good luck and I hope it's just a corroded riser(s).

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks that was what I was thinking.

Is it worth doing any more oil changes?

When you say "cracks in the valley between cylinders and lifters (tappets)" that's in the heads right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would do a pressure check of the cooling system. Was the oil level over filled?

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't think you could pressure test the cooling system?

PS I had a good chat with a mechanic at Bristol Marine, and am now pretty convinced that I screwed up when I reuse a gasket between the riser and manifold when I losed that joint to make sliding the new rubber couplings on between the riser and exhaust pipes.

I'll be redoing the riser/manifold connection with new gaskets Saturday. Thanks everyone.

Thalasso

Commander
He said the oil level was a bit over full. Wonder how much over. The crank shaft rotation would cause the foaming of the oil if it's to full. If the block (water passages) was cracked there would be water in the oil