New style Volvo U-joint bellows

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I just installed a new engine in the Cobalt, so I wanted to replace the gimbal bearing and do the U-joint bellows while I was at it. I Wanted a OEM bellows, and that's what I got. This is not what I had though. This new Volvo bellows with instructions said it was a newer and longer lasting replacement. The center section of bellows was a hard plastic, like an ABS or a vinyl. Then each end was molded with regular rubber like I'm used to. It was a lot harder to install, not being as flexible. Well I put everything back together and ran the boat for about 3 hrs. I have a trip coming up to Lake Powell, and I think I will pull the drive and check for leaks. I don't know why I worry about it, but I do. Any of you out there every use one of these ? I wish I would have taken a picture. Dave R.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I went back to the E-Bay add, and on the box is the # 3841481

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced my u-joint bellows 2 months ago and I too received the new style hard plastic/ABS bellows. I ran it for couple of weeks and then pulled the drive off, no leaks or issues.

This new style bellows is only for the u-joint, the exhaust bellows is still rubber the entire length

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I called Volvo penta and talked to a rep. He said it is a new design, and that it will last a lot longer. I was ready to pull the drive off again. Thanks for your reply,and I hope mine doesn't leak either. Funny thing though the local Volvo dealer new nothing about a new design.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered same part number, solid rubber bellows here?

You have almost the exact same boat, mine is a 97 Concept 170, 17 foot, 4.3 Volvo setup. What all did you replace and how far did you have to pull things down to replace it all?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Carl I removed the drive and took off the exhaust bellows, also undid the water pipe ( the big plastic nut) so I could access the u-joint bellows better. I also replaced the gimbal bearing while I was at it. Those dang grounding clips that go under the clamps were about a pain in the rear. Follow the instructions, and put the clamps in the locations they give. I did an alignment check and greased the splines also. I used bellows adhesive, not sure if it is needed. Dave-R.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where did you get it? Who was the seller?

I purchased mine from Marinepartsexpress

If you insert old part number it shows "RPL by" to the new part number, which is the combination rubber-ABS style.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used bellows adhesive, not sure if it is needed. Dave-R.

For future reference, bellows adhesive is not required on VP drives, nor does it really do anything. When the drive is installed, it presses up against the lip of the bellows and seals it off.