Questions about fuel tank vent

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - I've had a couple of issues lately that have me wondering if the vent line to my fuel tank is working properly. First, when I park the boat in the garage overnight, there is a significant gas smell by morning. Second, I was filling the boat this weekend from a jerry can and without warning, gas came gushing up out of the filler. Admittedly, the bow was elevated slightly on the trailer so it could have just been an air pocket in the tank, but I thought I would seek some advice on here. Thanks, Steve

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
scb - Moving to Boat Topics & Questions (not engine topics). It's not specific to VP, more generic in nature. Also a wider audience so hopefully you get an answer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not sure ont he smell, but the gushing back sounds like a plugged vent line, especially if only filling from a jerry can.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Does the filler neck also have the vent inside it or is there a separate vent? Sounds like it has the vent in the filler and if you dig in below the filler cap you will see a vent line surge protector. Those things for some reason stop allowing the tank to vent and need replaced or even just deleted. They sell them here at iboats if you need one.

http://www.iboats.com/Attwood-Fuel-V.../view_id.37945

foodfisher

Captain
Significant gas smell by morning suggests you park it outside until the problem is solved.