290DP & AD41 Prepurchase

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi As my search for another boat continues, I will be looking at one this weekend which has the above engine and drive combination, however both are currently removed from the boat; the drive: because of a hydraulic tilt leak, and the engine: supposedly because it had to come out in order to remove the drive inner and outer transom assembly to get at the source of the leak. I'm not sure yet whether the leak was from one of the rams or a hose, etc? While the engine was out it was discovered that the exhaust elbow was looking a bit gritty and so it also needs replacement. All were otherwise running ok prior to removal - supposedly. I have some experience with maintaining my own petrol Mercruiser engine / drive, but no experience with anything Volvo or diesel. Can someone please give me a few pointers of some obvious things that I should check on this engine and drive when I have a look in a few days? Is an engine like this the sort of thing that a diesel mechanic could do any sort of meaningful static tests on? I'll CC this post to the diesel forum as well. Thanks in advance.