volvo penta 5.7 GXi won't start.

NAIA2

Cadet
2003 volvo penta 5.7 GXi quit running from idle after engine heated up slightly [from kelp] and whining fuel pump. Would turn over but not start. I pulled a spark plug and grounded it to a bolt on the block. My son turned the motor over and I saw spark. It even gave me a good jolt when I slipped and must have completed the circuit accidentally. I could hear the fuel pump priming , but when I pulled the line from the tank to the fuel pump it was bone dry.

I figured given the age of the pump, the whine and other findings it was probably the pump. I replaced it and the fuel filter. I filled the filter with gas before replacing it. Now I get a "beep" when I turn the key on [so I am guessing its not the kill switch stuck?], and hear the electric pump priming. But still not starting. I put gas in the tank just in case it was out and the gauge may have been broken. When I pull the fuel line from the tank to the pump and place it low in the bilge, gas does drain so I don't think its clogged. I can only find 1 50 amp fuse which is OK. I replaced the fuse to the fuel pumps [F7 on my boat].

The boat still won't start and the line from the tank to the pump is still bone dry when I pull it and check it. My first thought is defective fuel pump, but it was a new Volvo part, from an online retailer. Any thoughts? Thanks.

NAIA2

Cadet
update: I now notice gas in the line from the tank to pump after priming multiple times. Also backfired after multiple primes when turning over with the starter. Indicates it is getting some gas. Maybe I was too quick to blame it on a gas issue. I re-checked the spark tonite and it did seem a little weak. Only a subtle purple spark firing about once a second or so, as it was turning over with the starter. Seems like it should spark more quickly at 300-400 RPM from the starter? Someone suggested running alligator clips from the positive lead of the battery to the + side of the coil. But the positive side of the coil has clip type connections. Do I remove those or splice into or? :grumpy:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Though this does feel like a fuel/spark issue and these gen VP's have fuel pump challenges, I'm wondering if the cooling system is clogged with kelp at the intake, impellar, or manifolds. Under the latter circumstance you would generally still be able to get it to fire, but perhaps you went into limp mode due to the cooling system being overtaxed/heated?

Hopefully others can chime in here.

NAIA2

Cadet
Thanks for the thoughts Moosehead. The cooling system is ok. I was in a kelp patty which momentarily wrapped around the inlets.
Anybody know how to test the fuel pump? should I pull the fuel rails or an injector? Someone advised bypassing the coil with an alligator clip from the + side of battery to ?? the coil cable? Thanks

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
NAIA2, it would be worth your while to look in the FAQ Engine Repair Questions section at the top of this subforum. There are threads on repairing fuel systems and how to check both high and low pressures and vacuum (one is linked below). There are also numerous fuel pump threads on our Volvo Penta configurations, a search will give you endless golden resources for DIY troubleshooting and repairs.sub-forum.

Further, look for Don S's write-ups or replies to similar questions in the past, he was a hugely talented boat expert who sadly passed away earlier this year, but still provides this board with invaluable guidance.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ts-fuel-system

Last edited:

NAIA2

Cadet
Thanks Moosehead. Sorry to hear about Don S. I learned a lot from his posts.

Anyhow, you are right, its easy to check the fuel pump thru the shrader valves. I am learning a lot.

I checked the distributor cap and rotor, which were worn, and replaced both. Now the boat runs good. Seems weird to me that the boat would run great and then just stop due to a bad cap and rotor, rather than run poorly for awhile and then stop, but I'm just glad its running now.