Problems with 5.0GI

SethBro

Cadet
Hello all, first time boat owner here and having some issues with a Volvo Penta 5.0GI PEFS serial #4012034931, Transom Assembly SX-MLT serial #4111666601 and Drive Unit DP-SM serial #4202019615.

Went to start it yesterday and when I turned the key I had no audible alarm (used to beep twice) and the relays that were on top of the engine near the throttle body were clicking like crazy. If I let it sit like this eventually it seemed like everything would come into alignment and would beep twice and would allow me to try and start, which if I turned the key at that time I would get a loud click from the starter. We tested batteries, and power to the starter, all checked out, and we also tested the back of the ignition switch which indicated fine with the voltmeter. Somehow the boat started and I took it out for a test drive, was able to have it out on the water all day and then at the end of the day the motor was shut off and would not start again with the same problem as before.

Now as the boat sits, it will not start at all, no beeps, and no trim. If I try to trim it I hear a buzzing noise from the trim assembly in the back, either the relays or the motor itself, but it seems like the trim motor isn't getting enough juice. I used to be able to just turn the batteries on and trim the motor up without starting the engine at all.

The batteries are brand new and the trim motor is brand new, the only by luck it seems were we able to eventually (with some tapping of electrical relays and such) to get the trim motor up at the ramp. The relays at the throttle body that were clicking like crazy I tested and they tested fine.

I'm totally perplexed by this and will most likely be taking it to a shop, but if it something simple that we're missing, please help! Thank you!

- Seth

captmello

Captain
Sounds like a battery/cable connection. I'd go over all the connections including the ground connections. What voltage do you have at the batteries.

Edit, make sure the throttle is in the up position, throttle safety switch or lanyard...

Last edited:

SethBro

Cadet
Thank you for responding! Last weekend I actually cleaned all the battery connections, but I was unable to get the ground off where it bolts in next to the starter. When I checked my batteries the volts read around 12.8 on both.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with captmello, it could be worth running a temporary ground lead from the engine directly to the battery to see if it cures the problem, if it does then you will know where to look.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Sounds like a ground problem as stated above...you can pull the relays and clean them they can a will corrode badly. Your master ground is on the rear block right next to the power steering cooler very hard to get to...Twice its been a issue for myself.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...tarting-system

D
on really had a handle down on marine...and shared so freely with everyone.

Last edited:

SethBro

Cadet
The ground from the battery to the block is not the master ground?

Last edited:

SethBro

Cadet
Update: A few more clues to the problem after rechecking all battery grounds to the engine. When I first put the key in and turn it and start getting the clicks it seems to slowly build up voltage until it hits 12 on the back of the ignition switch and then I get the 2 beeps telling me its ready to start, turn the key all the way and it tries to engage but doesn't turn the engine. Also, with the key turned, if I try and actuate the trim motor it then reverts back to clicking and loses voltage to the starter.

On the back right hand side of the motor near the trim pump there is a post of several wires bolted in the back of the engine block. The post and wires look like a big mess of rust and bleh. Could this be my issue? If it is, I don't think i'll be able to hand this myself and will be taking it to a shop to be removed and replaced.

Last thing: Any chance of finding a wiring diagram online for free?

Thanks again for all the help!

SethBro

Cadet
I agree with captmello, it could be worth running a temporary ground lead from the engine directly to the battery to see if it cures the problem, if it does then you will know where to look.

Also, I tried doing this and did not cure problem, but was sure worth a shot

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Update: A few more clues to the problem after rechecking all battery grounds to the engine. When I first put the key in and turn it and start getting the clicks it seems to slowly build up voltage until it hits 12 on the back of the ignition switch and then I get the 2 beeps telling me its ready to start, turn the key all the way and it tries to engage but doesn't turn the engine. Also, with the key turned, if I try and actuate the trim motor it then reverts back to clicking and loses voltage to the starter.

On the back right hand side of the motor near the trim pump there is a post of several wires bolted in the back of the engine block. The post and wires look like a big mess of rust and bleh. Could this be my issue? If it is, I don't think i'll be able to hand this myself and will be taking it to a shop to be removed and replaced.

Last thing: Any chance of finding a wiring diagram online for free?

Thanks again for all the help!

That link takes you thourgh the whole system

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...tarting-system

SethBro

Cadet
OK, problem solved.

It was both ground studs at the back of the motor, cut off and relocated. Also some of the ground wires themselves needed to be replaced.

I did not do this myself, took it to a shop and they diagnosed and fixed it for me. At least now it runs like a champ.