Waukesha 290T

lubber

Cadet
Hi to all, Newbie here. I just purchased a Formula 233 with a Ford 302 and a Waukesha 290T outdrive. I'm looking to find info on the outdrive. Service manuals etc. Do I understand correctly that the Waukesha is a Volvo Penta or similar? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Scott

captmello

Captain
290 is a VP outdrive, not sure about the 290T. Can you post some pics?

You can go to this link to find a service manual for the 290

Welcome, BTW.

lubber

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome and link ,I'll post a couple of pics when I get home later this afternoon

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The pics show a 275 drive that's had an upper from a different drive(290)installed.
That's a Volvo not a Waukesha. They must have stuck their name on it?
What year is the boat?
http://volvopentastore.com/
Electrical Motor for the tilt. NOT CHEAP!!! Volvo will hurt ya!! Try any starter or electric motor builder.Arco starter can help.part#850834

lubber

Cadet
Jerry, the boat is a 1969 model. This is my first sterndrive boat and I really don't know what I'm looking at. The previous owner didn't have any info on it as he had inherited an unwanted boat. Would you know where I can find I.D. numbers that would help with year model ? I'd like to get a service manual for it (them) Thanks:joyous:

captmello

Captain
Like Jerry said, its not a 290 and doesn't have power trim like the sticker says, only an electric tilt for hauling in and out of the water. if it is a 275, there is no service manual for that drive. The best manual for you to use would be the 280-DP-C manual at the link I posted earlier. However, the Volvo manuals are not that great.

I'll caution you now about putting a lot of money into that old boat. Does it run? I would suggest going over everything before you start buying expensive parts for it. All the parts will be expensive. Formulas are nice boats. Any soft spots on the deck?

lubber

Cadet
Thanks for the help identifying what I've got to work with guys. The boat is a total resto project needing a new floor as well as many other items. I knew this going in and am looking forward to the project. I"ll probably spend a little over a year on her. I'm hoping to keep the costs down to a low roar and not knowing sterndrives is the reason for my post. I'm hoping to find out if I have something in the outdrive I can work with or ? Having said that I guess I should think about moving the conversation to a different thread (restorations/refits). Opinions appreciated, thanks.

captmello

Captain
One of the rules of thumb in the resto world is that typically, you need one of two things, a solid usable hull with a bad drivetrain, or a rotten hull with a solid usable drivetrain. In your case we know the hull is rotten, so you need to work on the drivetrain first to try to determine if its usable. Whenever I see an upper gear box thats been swapped, I can't help but wonder if it was shimmed properly when installed or if it was just thrown on. None of the outdrive is original, except perhaps the transom shield. Also, since it is a rebadged Volvo outdrive, the motor will not have volvo parts. Well it may have some, but Volvo only used the 302 for two years in the mid seventies. the 302 was know as an AQ190. Most parts for those are NA. So...marine specific engine parts may be hard to come by. There were a number of companies rebadging the volvo outdrives and installing their own motors back in the early 70 including glastron, chriscraft, chrysler, etc.
If it where mine I'd start with going through the drivetrain and getting it functioning first, while its still in the boat.

1. Drain the outdrive oil and Pull off the upper gear box to inspect the inside of the outdrive. Attached is the procedure for that, oddly called Outdrive pin removal.

2. Get the motor running. You can do this with the upper gear box removed. Once running a compression check would be my next move.

I wouldn't do any other resto work until these are done. We'll be happy to help you with any of these things as you work through them. Good luck!