NOISE AND LOST STEERING

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
Went out to anclote sand bar yesterday. all ok on the way out but on the way in started to get a noise and a vibration from gimbal area. then steering stopped responding. was able to stop safely and anchor just befor the channel. no leaks found from steering and after a nudge was able to return to center. did not want to risk navigating channel with iffy steering so we used our boat us towing. after we got home I ran it in the driveway and the noise is def from gimbal area and worse if turning steering.. thinking the u-joint on the driveshaft are the issue and causing steering to bind.Am I on the right track?? planning to tear down tonight. drive is an aq290 dp 1986 model

Last edited:

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
got top side tore down tonight and found water in driveshaft bellows. not alot but any is too much. u-joints are very loose but do not seem to have any play in them. I know this does not necessarily mean that they are good from my auto backround and they will be getting replaced while apart. the drive shaft stayed in and there seems to be alot of side to side play in it. I am thinking that the bearing is bad in the housing. any thoughts? also noticed that the port side pivot pin has alot of play. is it normally the pin that wears?thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The setup you have.
The motor needs to be pulled to replace the bearings.
Usually the pins dont wear.
In fact they are usually a B to remove.

The lost steering?? Figure it out?
The u-joints and bearings shouldn't have anything to do with that?

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
got the out drive the rest of the way off. rear bearing was totally destroyed. guess I'll order all the parts then pull the motor. damn it, just put it in in spring. wish I would have known this was gonna happen. think the joints were binding though causing issue with steering as I can find nothing else wrong with it. gonna get all new stuff and prob gonna replace tilt hoses as long as I'm there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Think about replacing the steering yoke bushing while it's apart.
Is there a grease fitting on the rear of the bell housing?
Most don't know they're there.
When you reinstall put one in if it's not there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree.

replace the two steering yoke bushings and the seal on the yoke shaft while you have the PDS out.

inspect the front seal and thrust/seal washer. if its rusty, replace them while you have the driveshaft out.

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
Thought that the drive shaft would come out the rear after tearing retainer was removed but it wont budge. I know it is not stuck in flexplate,as I just had engine out and coated splines with anti sieze. is this normal? is there way to get it out?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you did remove the PDS housing from the motor correct? the PDS driveshaft comes out the coupler side of the housing.

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
motor is still in.. thought shaft came out from the drive side. just thought it would be easier while removing engine. planned on leaving bellhousing in the boat and changining bearings

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
scott you seem to know alot about this out drive. would it be possible for me to give you a call? if so message me your number. have some questions about the reverse lock assy.thx eric