Where can I find an oil pan for a 1995 Volvo Penta OMC 5.0 Fi v8?

anderdea

Cadet
I've looked all over the WEB and it come up unavailable. Engine Model: 50FAPHUE. It's an OMC 5.0 225 HP V8, Ford 302 cu in. I believe it's a marineized Mustang engine. I have a failing (leaking oil pan) I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to have the engine pulled but I don't want to consider it if the pan isn't available. I am at present trying a temp fix with JB Weld epoxy but the pan is so difficult to access I won't know until I put oil in the engine and start it up if it will hold and the pan has a number of weakened areas due to rust. 1995 Four Winns 195 Sundowner. Can I use a regular oil pan from the car engine for this? Also does anyone know what the oil capacity is for this engine, with new filter? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Oil capacity with new filter is 6 quarts.

Without filter is 5 quarts.

Not sure where you could find a replacement.

anderdea

Cadet
Sparky, thanks. Just put the third coat of JB Weld Epoxy on the oil pan. The epoxy really stiffened up the area that had bee weakened by rust. It's almost like the pan was made of laminated layers of sheet medal and had delaminates as there really wasn't much rust on the outside of the pan. Will let it cure for couple of days then add oil and start it up. While I was at it and could access the front engine pulleys, I cleaned up some major rust do to salt water environment and POR 15'd them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had a pan start leaking due to a rust spot. When I pulled it, there were many other potential spots it was going to leak later. I would get a new pan before doing what you are doing. You need to get another pan and pull the engine to replace it.

You can probably find a 5.0 Ford oil pan. The problem may be if the drain hole is the same size. You can always have the one you have on your current pan cut out and welded onto the new pan. The drain hole is where the dipstick attaches if you want to have a dipstick. You need to find one that has the drain in the same position, That will be the difficult part.

These guys are out of stock but this is what you want:
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/QSTOP302M/VOL5A-OP

It's almost like the pan was made of laminated layers of sheet medal and had delaminates as there really wasn't much rust on the outside of the pan.
By the way, that's just the rust flaking off.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ford used several pans on 5.0 L engines. Some were dual sump, some single. The pan on your engine is not unique to marine. That's the good news.

If the pan is dual sump, that is probably an F and E-Series truck pan. Single would be most likely car.

anderdea

Cadet
Thanks for the replays. The pan only has a large hump about 80% back from the front of the pan. I don't know if it's a dual sump. it does have tubing coming from the back of the pan (starboard side where a normal drain plug would be) around the back and under the back of the pan and up into the engine somewhere. I also found a number of areas of potential weakness in the pan. I repaired them all. I then ran the engine for about a half hour at different RPM's and no leaks. My wife is not going for letting me spending the kind of money on an old boat that is needed to replace the pan. She isn't a real boat person. Scares her when I take it out in Cape Cod Bay. We are just retired and if this boat goes, that's it. Living on Cape Cod, I defiantly want to have a boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the dual sump pans were for cars to clear the steering. your motor started life on a truck line assembly line. look under 95 F-truck

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
the dual sump pans were for cars to clear the steering. your motor started life on a truck line assembly line. look under 95 F-truck

I was going to say the same 88-96 F (or E) series 302 (5.0L) single sump oil pan. I was gonna replace mine and they matched up perfectly except, mine was salvageable ...the only difference is the black powder coating. Should even be the same threads in the dipstick/drain plug.

Cheers!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Scares her when I take it out in Cape Cod Bay.
It would scare me too taking a boat out with a patched up oil pan. You should replace it.

Watch your oil pressure gauge like a hawk and get marine towing insurance. You may need it.

Last edited:

anderdea

Cadet
I have the marine towing insurance which is a must anyway. Regarding the patched pan, there was only one spot on the lower corner of the pan that was leaking. There were some weak spots on the pan I also repaired. It wasn't really leaking that bad and the oil was clean, pressure good and that's probably the reason I didn't know it was leaking. I noticed it, finally when I had to change my raw water pump. With the interior in and I full deck lid over the engine, it's very difficult to see into the bilge under the engine. I agree however, that the pan needs to be changed but don't know if I want to put $1500+ into a 19 year old boat. It's good to know, however that it is fixable and I can get a pan for it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had a pin hole that was leaking in a pan. When I pulled it off, there were at least 20 other spots which were going to go next.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Take the pan to a wrecking yard. When they ask what it's out of say boat but it looks like a pick up truck 5.0. When they give you a pan make sure it too doesn't have those rust spots for they are known for this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The drain plug has to be on the correct side. All the ones I see pictures of from trucks have the drain plug on the opposite side.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Why does the drain plug have to be on the correct side? You can suck the oil out to change it. I haven't touched the drain plug on my pan since I got the boat, it's inaccessible and I'm not pulling the engine to change the oil.

get the $60 truck pan and either run it or if you must have your drain plug on the other side, take it to the machine shop and have them put another drain plug on the other side for $50.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FcZQ7AodaywAdw

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why does the drain plug have to be on the correct side? You can suck the oil out to change it.
Becuase the dipstick tube goes into a fitting that screws into the drain plug. I guess you don't have to have a dipstick but I prefer to be able to check my oil.

If it were mine, I would weld one onto the correct side if I couldn't find the exact one. Of course I posted a site that carries them so that you wouldn't have to do that.

Last edited:

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Becuase the dipstick tube goes into a fitting that screws into the drain plug. I guess you don't have to have a dipstick but I prefer to be able to check my oil. If it were mine, I would weld one onto the correct side if I couldn't find the exact one. Of course I posted a site that carries them so that you wouldn't have to do that.
Why not move the dipstick to the other side? If it has to be on the correct side then weld one to the correct side. I saw you posted a link but that oil pan was on backorder last time someone was looking for that pan about a year ago. If it isn't available, its no help to the OP.