1990 Volvo AQ271C/GM 350 carburetor jetting (stock jet size?)

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... I think that plug looks Lean at the verge of detonation,....

Yeah, the ceramic looks too white in the photo. There should be a nice light chocolate brown dusting on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You should be able to change both primaries and secondaries with the carb installed, only having to drop the bowls.

I agree, the plug does look a bit lean

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here is a better picture of the same plug. Tell me what you think. I'm planning on going up one jet size to a 70.

Attachments

• photo207074.jpg
    photo207074.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have run the boat for about a total of o e hour with these jets. Not long at all.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Be careful.... It is better to be too rich than too lean neither of which I am

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
How brownish tan should they be? I'm much better with 70's in the primaries. But with 72 they were black

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys I have it dialed in quite well. Thanks for all the advice.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ran into an issue on Sunday. I left a restaurant on a shallow area of the lake. I sucked something up through the strainer of fresh water cooling line. It clogged and my motor overheated. I took the line out and was able to clear it by blowing hard several times. My impeller was toast from running dry so I put a new one in right away. I fired her up and watched the temp drop from 220 to 145 in seconds. Everything seemed to be fine after that. She seemed to have all her power. But I noticed that I melted my exhaust bellow and the exhaust tubes that go from the riser to the y-pipe. Do you think I damaged anything else? Other than being much louder now with now exhaust bellow she seems to run fine. I ordered a new bellow and tubes. Thoughts??

Maclin

Admiral
The rubber parts in the exhaust go first and that is not necessarily a sign that engine damage has occurred. Exhaust without water is hooottttttt and the rubber does not have much of a chance. Hopefully the head gaskets held and your engine will run ok. You can do a compression check to ease your mind, well, if it passes you will feel better :) If you caught it within 2-3 minutes or so I bet it is ok. There would have been water in the block more than likely and that acts as a heat sink even if it is not flowing, gives you some time.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
I changed my oil and impeller which was chewed up from running dry but still intact. It seems to run just fine. All power was there the next day. She's just a little louder without the the bellow. Which I will replace next weekend along with new exhausts tubes.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo207954.jpg
    photo207954.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket engine temp alarm system? My boat has no alarms and I want to install one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I do not recall if there are extra ports in the motor, however a simple automotive temperature switch ($6) plus a small relay ($8) and a horn ($30) will get you a low cost temp alarm.

you can rig up an extra port with an in-line tee, or tap the manifold