Another Volvo whinning fuel pump!

Boaterguy05

Cadet
Hey everybody! I have a 2005 Chaparral SSI 210 with a Volvo 5.0 GXI-E with 280 hours on the meter. The fuel pump started the dreaded whine while out on the water last week. The engine still ran normally. I was thinking about just buying the high pressure pump but after reading the threads here, cavatation causing the whine can be on the low side as well. This is the original pump and I was reading about paint flakes as a possible cause. Does any body know if that problem has been addressed in the new pump assembly part #21608511? It doesn't sound like cleaning the pump assembly is a good idea so I was just wondering if the pump has been redesigned before I shell out 800 big ones. I contacted 2 different dealers who seemed to know less about this than I do so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! - Steve

Boaterguy05

Cadet
Update: The problem seems to be fixed. I installed a new fuel pump for about 650 big ones and ran the boat on the ear mufs. Within about 20 minutes, the new pump started to whine just as loud as the old one did. A reading from a IR thermometer had the pump at 140 degrees. After verifing there was no blockage from the fuel fill supply and return lines to the tank, it was back to the forums for more research. I had a hard time believing it was in the pressure regulator since the motor ran perfect thru the RPM range. It is also impooirtant to note that I change the raw water pump impeller every season, but I noticed the flow was not very strong. My dealer did not have a VP part but sold me an aftermarket impeller. The regulator screen was covered in small black flakes. I ordered a VP impeller and the E-clip for the regulator. I was going to clean and re-install the screen but it broke when I removed it so I installed the E-clip (part #21491831) and changed impeller. I ran the boat for an hour, no more whine and pump is about 85 degrees. Two lessons learned here. First, do not by aftermarket parts, and there is a wealth of information on this forum. Research your problem because no matter what it is, someone here has "been there done that".

Boaterguy05

Cadet
I could have saved a lot of money on a new pump if I had done more research here first. But none the less, I am sitting here being happy since I can go boating this weekend!