2004 Glastron GX-255 with VOLVO PENTA 5.7 GI-F no power to coil/no spark

bandit1730

Recruit
Hello everyone.

Had the engine running last Saturday (06/14/2014) at home with no issues at all while preparing/cross checking the boat for a Sunday outing at Key Biscayne (Miami, FL). Long story short.... with the boat at the ramp, the engine would not fire. There was a boat mechanic on-site testing a boat and he checked the fuel pump and spark (fuel pump good, but no spark). He suggested taking the boat tho his shop to run the computer on the engine. I do have a manual and tried running some tests as outlined on such manual. So far, cap and rotor are looking good (didn't take a pictures of those). The problem I am having while trying to follow the repair manual and forum posts is that the coil doesn't have a purple/gray or pink/brown wire as shown on the manual. Nevertheless, there is no power on any of the wires connecting to coil (with ignition on). All fuses are good and the engine has 87 hours on the clock. Any suggestions would e greatly appreciated. Could I test by running a jumper wire from the battery to coil?

Last edited:

bandit1730

Recruit
There is only the 40 AMP breaker right by the rotor (checked good) and the lanyard switch (I haven't check this one yet. Will do so tomorrow Saturday)

bandit1730

Recruit
Purple wire at Lanyard is good. I don't know what else to check. I've read something about disconnecting the gray tach wire. That's going to be my last try.