Volvo Penta 4.3 GS Oil in the well

kf4pch

Recruit
I've noticed some oil in the well of my boat over the last few lake trips. From looking around the engine it appears to be coming from the starboard side of the engine.
I replaced the value cover gasket and installed new spark plugs. I cleaned the oil out of the well and went to the lake Wed only finding oil again in the well.
So after further research i found a hose laying in the well of course it was oily. I found that odd that a hose was laying down there. Where the other end goes i'm not sure i haven't been able to track it down yet. Looking up toward the spark plugs I saw a hole that of a dipstick hole (still starboard side) there is no cap on it or a dipstick tube. It appears that the excess oil is coming from that hole. I have a dipstick tube and things on the port side. What is this hole on the starboard side? Do you think this is where the oil is coming from? Does the hose go into that hole? The boat runs great on the lake but it does idle very well if any. Not sure if that's why or I just need to replace the fuel filter. What are your thoughts...
thanks
Johnny

resolved:

What I found out was this. On the starboard side of the engine there's a dipstick hole that goes into the oil pan. This hole was not plugged as it should have been. After talking with a couple of different mechanical folks we determined that this was not pressurized and also that this engine could have two dipstick tubes. I bought a rubber plug and pushed it into the hole and ran the boat this weekend at the lake and absolutely no oil everywhere finally. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

kf4pch

Recruit
What I found out was this. On the starboard side of the engine there's a dipstick hole that goes into the oil pan. This hole was not plugged as it should have been. After talking with a couple of different mechanical folks we determined that this was not pressurized and also that this engine could have two dipstick tubes. I bought a rubber plug and pushed it into the hole and ran the boat this weekend at the lake and absolutely no oil everywhere finally. Thanks for the responses.