Volvo Penta Hydraulic Oil

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a particular hydraulic oil I need to use in my boat for my Volvo SX out drive ? Its looking a little low so I figured I would top it off.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Volvo recommends Volvo Trim/Power Steering Fluid. I just used PS fluid from the local auto parts store.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at the reservoir, it looks a little below half. Now, since I bought the boat I haven't seen it move. I figured i would just top it off.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which reservoir are we talking about here?

Facing my engine compartment, there is a reservoir off to the side with the hydraulic lines going to the outdrive. Not my power steering pump. I didnt know you could use power steering fluid as hydrolic fluid, can you ?

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats the model no of your outdrive? However, I understand that Volvo recommends Volvo trim/steering fluid or Dexron ATF.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Facing my engine compartment, there is a reservoir off to the side with the hydraulic lines going to the outdrive. Not my power steering pump. I didnt know you could use power steering fluid as hydrolic fluid, can you ?

They are one in the same. Which is why Volvo markets theirs as trim/steering fluid. It is used in both the power steering pump and trim pump.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Make sure your drive is all the way down when you check/adjust oil level.