fuel pump relay

krowey

Cadet
just got boat all pulled out, cleaned, engine serviced & drive re-installed. fired her up on muffs & everything is all okay. went out over the weekend & believe i lost the fuel pump or relay. i have started trouble shooting by checking power at the fuel pump plug & get current there with my light tester, pump still does not run. i am going to purchase a volt meter tomorrow for more accurate testing. i have also tried jumping terminals 30 & 87 with jumper wires & all it does is kick the circuit breaker. i took pump off & it seems to run fine on the bench. any more ideas? i have check most all the connections for corrosion & cleaned up a few, all looks good. the engine & drive are the joint omc/volvo effort. model # 502bpbyc.....serial # t01309929.....year 1998. i have a manual for the boat, but the previous owner, didn't take very good care of it, so its difficult to read. i would really like to figure this out on my own, with a little help from you guys. any help would greatly be appreciated. i have searched the threads looking for a schematic & trouble shooting, have found some close, but not the exact same as my engine has. thank you all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
jumping 30 and 87 should definitely operate the pump.

This have fuel injection or carb?

krowey

Cadet
Sorry, forgot to mention, it's a carburated 5.0, yeah when I jumped 30 & 87 it trips the circuit breaker.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
unplug the pump and try it. If it still blows the breaker, you have a short to ground.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is a good diagram of what your circuit is like. Make sure you are jumpering the correct connections.

2012-06-22_154617_volvo_fuel_pump_circuit_96.jpg

krowey

Cadet
Thank you for the diagram bruce, that's a much better image, than what's in my old moldy manual. Your right it looks like I was jumping to the wrong terminal & causing the breaker to trip.