Volvo Penta SX 1.97 Stern Drive Oil, HELP Please

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice
I need some expert opinions on Gear Oil.

I already know my Manual says Volvo Penta Synthetic Gear case Lubricant or Mobilube 1 SHC Fully Synthetic SEA 75W-90 gear lubricant. GL-5 rated

My problem is I cant find either of these two at any auto parts store or marine dealer to include Walmart in my area, etc, etc.

I can only find Mobil 1 75W90 LS, and no Volvo stuff since no Dealer close by. I have read and heard no Limited Slip oil should be used.

What is the best suitable substitute and where can I get it from?

Thanks

mandmj

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta SX 1.97 Stern Drive Oil, HELP Please

If u want online, iboats is a good place to start. If u are looking local, try a boat dealer or mechanic. The stuff at auto stores usually has limited slip additive (ls) which some say is detrimental to the drives. The Mobil product u want is delvac synthetic 75w 90. Look for a mobilube retail store or maybe a truck stop/service center. Hth.

nitwhit

Seaman
Mobil 1 75w-90 in the silver bottle works great in the SX drives. Used by many on here including myself. Available at any parts store.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mobil 1 75w-90 in the silver bottle works great in the SX drives. Used by many on here including myself. Available at any parts store.
As the OP mentioned, you'll want to stay away from LS gear lubes on cone clutch drives like the SX. Mobil 1 at the parts store is usually the LS version.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
As the OP mentioned, you'll want to stay away from LS gear lubes on cone clutch drives like the SX. Usually Mobil 1 at the parts store is usually the LS version.

Agreed. This is why I use the Volvo oil now.

nitwhit

Seaman
Yes, I forgot the new Mobil 1 is now LS rated. I had stocked up while you could still get the old version. I believe the current replacement for the Mobilube 1 SHC Fully Synthetic 75W-90 is now labeled as Mobil Delvac Syn Gear 75W-90. I have only seen it in a gallon size.

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice
Was in another town and found some of the Volvo 75w90, expensive but yes I have heard stay away from the Limited Slip stuff and no one around here sells anything Mobil or Valvoline without the LS. I would have had to buy a 5 gallon pail from the local Mobil dealer for the Delvac stuff, $264 dollars later, no thanks.

nitwhit

Seaman
My local Mobil distributor quoted me right under $150 for a case of 4 one gallon jugs. They said you can also purchase it from Zoro tools (Grainger's online discount site) or Grainger locally as well.

Thalasso

Commander
If some of you would read the last paragraph on the back of the Mobile1 LS bottle it will tell you it is ok to use where GL-5 is required.

Last edited:

nitwhit

Seaman
I'm confused by the G4 info Thalasso. Aren't we suggesting an alternative to the Volvo 75w-90 gear oil that is G5 spec without the LS additive packs?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Volvo specifically says not to use gear lube with a LS additive. Your choice!

The issue with using the fluid with the LS additive in it is your cone clutches. You can either take Volvo's recommendation or experiment yourself!

From a couple threads that DonS posted on a long time ago:
Re: Outdrive Lube issue settled for me

Gl-5 Synthetic, is NOT the same thing as GL-5 Limited Slip Synthetic.

Re: "LS" Gear Lubes

There have been a couple of posts in the past by members trying to use the LS, and they ended up with drives that had slipping problems. They went back to the oil without the LS additive and it worked fine again. So I guess the answer would be DO NOT use the GL5 Synthetic with the LS additive.

One note, this is for Volvo drives with cone clutches, dog clutches are not a problem.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Just read the info on the back of the jug. I have been using it since 2007 and no problems.

Thalasso

Commander
I'm confused by the G4 info Thalasso. Aren't we suggesting an alternative to the Volvo 75w-90 gear oil that is G5 spec without the LS additive packs?

It was said not to use the Mobile 1 because it has LS on the bottle. I am just reiterating what the back of the bottle states. It.s like motor oil. The manufacture says to use an API rating and certain weight. The Mobile1 has improved thge LS to meet the GL-5 rating. The one article i posted stated that all modern gear lubes bought over the counter are GL-5 rated.
The LS vs the GL-5 is a concern if there is yellow brass in the drive. Which there isn't

Thalasso

Commander
Volvo specifically says not to use gear lube with a LS additive. Your choice!

The issue with using the fluid with the LS additive in it is your cone clutches. You can either take Volvo's recommendation or experiment yourself!

From a couple threads that DonS posted on a long time ago:

Delvac 75w-90 is not a synthetic. Delvac-1 HP 75w-90 is. Beyond that, in a cone clutch application, you need the friction modifier that is added to both the Merc HP lube and the Volvo lube. A few had failures using Amsoil gear oil and blamed it on lubricant breakdown. The reality was that the Amsoil was just too slick and the clutch cones never fully engaged.
All i can say is my manual says to use 75-90 Synthetic with a GL-5 rating. Nothing about no LS or Anything other then a GL5 lube

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I used the Mobil 1 before. Based on conversations with DonS I now I use the Volvo gear lube when the original Mobil 1 was not available in the auto parts stores.

OP has a bunch of info now and he can make his choice.

mandmj

Seaman
the Mobil 1 delvac i mentioned above is synthetic. They may make a dino oil variant as well however. The delvac label has replaced the SHC label. I have personally contacted Mobil and gave them the application of a VP DP-SM and that was their reply. I bought a gallon from zoro I think, same place the porsche guys get it for their use. I will say using the smaller bottle of VP lube makes it easier as the delvac gallon has a wide mouth bottle and none of the lube pumps i've seen will fit it.