Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (aka not gimbals)

jmsmieja

Cadet
Hello,

I posted this in the maintenance section, but it was suggested I repost here to get more eyes on it since it's a Volvo Penta specific question.

I have a 1994 Chris Craft 268 with a VP 7.4 GL DPDM. It has a VP DP-D1 drive on it with transom assembly TSK DP-S. Seeing as how the intermediate bearings can't both be removed without pulling the engine and removing the housing, is there any way or any need to get grease in them? They seem tight and make no noticeable sound, but I just want to understand what I can do to prolong doing any lengthy and/or expensive service when these bearings give out.

I don't see a zerk anywhere but haven't looked on the bottom of the housing yet.

Thanks,

Jameson

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (aka not gimbals

There should be a zirk fitting on top of the pds housing. If no zirk, look for a plug. remove the plug and install a zirk.
Give it about 10 pumps of grease, if you put to much grease in it will push the seals out, so 10 pumps is about right.
Zirk should not be on the bottom unless someone installed the pds upside down.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (aka not gimbals

there are some later PDS's that did not have the zirk installed. take a look behind the engine on top of the pds just in front of and below the steering ram. if you see the zirk, grease it.

otherwise when you pull the motor to change bearings, drill and tap for a zirk at that point.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
~~This year engine uses a Flywheel Cover with the single bearing PDS... (no grease fitting as with the double PDS bearings

jmsmieja

Cadet
~~This year engine uses a Flywheel Cover with the single bearing PDS... (no grease fitting as with the double PDS bearings

You are correct jerryjerry06. There was no fitting or plug. Although just to clarify the parts diagram on the volvopentastore.com shows that my drive has the double PDS bearings, not a single one. Either way, it sounds like the answer to my question is that I can't do anything until it's time to change the bearings. Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late follow-up response.