Volvo Penta 5.0fi question

Regal_242

Recruit
I have a Regal with a Volvo penta 5.0 fi engine. The engine starts fine and runs great. Good oil pressure and idles smooth. Problem is under the left and right exhaust manifolds there are two missing plugs or caps which seem to dump water into the engine bay area never noticed it before. This is also when running it out of water on a trailer. I think its weird but it missing on the same place on both sides of the engine. Wish I could add pics. It looks like its been that way for a while too. Engine has 241 hours on it and I was prepping it for the water this weekend.

Not sure what is going on or if this is normal

Help!!!!!!

royston22

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0fi question

Sounds like someone took the manifold drain plugs out when the motor was winterized and didn't put them back in. They should definitely be there - it's not normal to have an engine pumping water into your bilge.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Can you take a pic of where the water is coming out? There are a couple of drain plugs on the block that are under the manifolds. Did anyone unscrew those when the boat was winterized? They are brass, and if they just unscrewed them, you should be able to just tighten them back up. I always unscrew mine, and pull them out of the block completely so that the water will flow better when draining.

You also have some core plugs down there as well. If the engine wasn't winterized properly, they could get pushed out during the winter, and whenever you start the engine up, water will pour out of them.

I've got a 5.0 FL and they have the same exhaust manifolds (assuming it is a Ford 302) and the book doesn't note any drain plugs that are in the bottom of the manifold. There are inlet hoses on the front of the manifolds, and rubber plugs held on by hose clamps on the back of the manifolds.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Those are drain plug's. Is this a new boat to you..it sure sounds like it was winterized and not restored this spring...yet that is.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"Problem is under the left and right exhaust manifolds there are two missing plugs or caps"

Or it wasn't winterized and the core plugs popped out on both sides of the block. The "under" the manifolds is the hint. V8 has 2 on each side .

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

"Problem is under the left and right exhaust manifolds there are two missing plugs or caps"

Or it wasn't winterized and the core plugs popped out on both sides of the block. The "under" the manifolds is the hint. V8 has 2 on each side .

Very much so...New boat owner's in a word ..Priceless....and then there are the tinker's..truly priceless.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a Regal with a Volvo penta 5.0 fi engine. The engine starts fine and runs great. Good oil pressure and idles smooth. Problem is under the left and right exhaust manifolds there are two missing plugs or caps which seem to dump water into the engine bay area never noticed it before. This is also when running it out of water on a trailer. I think its weird but it missing on the same place on both sides of the engine. Wish I could add pics. It looks like its been that way for a while too. Engine has 241 hours on it and I was prepping it for the water this weekend.

Not sure what is going on or if this is normal

Help!!!!!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is the boat New to You,..??

Who winterized it,..?? Where ya from,..??

No,... Not at all normal,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

UntitledC_zps18fdd950.jpg

Regal_242

Recruit

Okay so here is what I got after digging, I was deployed to Afghanistan last year during the winter and after the summer my wife had a friend of mine winterized the boat. It obviously was not done correctly I now need new plugs to install and sealant (not sure what kind). I found the old plugs sitting under the engine. The engine is mechanically sound.
I get that it's possibly a 302 block but I've called around and no Marine shop has them on hand. I live in Jacksonville, NC. I've been told to try any auto parts store also and they might have it too

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am pretty sure they need to be brass. Automotive ones would fit but will be steel. Hopefully, once you get the new freeze plugs in you will find that there is no other damage.