5L Volvo Penta SX Drive Power Trim

Leisure Time

Cadet
Hello iboats members. Brand new to iboats and boating. I have a 2010 Stingray 225 CR with a 5L Volvo Penta SX drive. The boat was working find last summer and was professionally winterized. When I received boat this week I was informed by marina that power trim gauge was not working. The gauge is the needle type. The drive would go up and down but the needle would remain in the up position. The boat only has 78 hours on it. They suggested I launch boat and see if it clears up. They claim this sometimes happens when they're stored over the winter. I have no idea where the power trim hookup is located. I'm very handy with tools and as long as I have instruction's am able to fix just about anything. I've done some reading here on iboats already and believe there is a sensor on the stern drive that my be the problem. Does anyone know of other problems, wire, circuit, fuse, etc.. that I sould be looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Leisure Time

LT

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: 5L Volvo Penta SX Drive Power Trim

Welcome to iboats LT...

Pull the two ss bolts on the starboard side of the lower outdrive, you may not need to actually pull it out, but at least get a good look at the wires? (should have cam washers that can be adjusted?). You may need to turn the wheel all the way to the port side to see/access it? make sure the wires are not pinched/cut...I pulled mine last year when I replaced bellows, I looked the other day and my ground wire had been pinched and cut...

~Brett

Thalasso

Commander

Welcome to iboats LT...

Pull the two ss bolts on the starboard side of the lower outdrive, you may not need to actually pull it out, but at least get a good look at the wires? (should have cam washers that can be adjusted?). You may need to turn the wheel all the way to the port side to see/access it? make sure the wires are not pinched/cut...I pulled mine last year when I replaced bellows, I looked the other day and my ground wire had been pinched and cut...

~Brett

I think your referring to Merc drives. My Volvo only uses one on the starboard side of the drive

Thalasso

Commander

Hello iboats members. Brand new to iboats and boating. I have a 2010 Stingray 225 CR with a 5L Volvo Penta SX drive. The boat was working find last summer and was professionally winterized. When I received boat this week I was informed by marina that power trim gauge was not working. The gauge is the needle type. The drive would go up and down but the needle would remain in the up position. The boat only has 78 hours on it. They suggested I launch boat and see if it clears up. They claim this sometimes happens when they're stored over the winter. I have no idea where the power trim hookup is located. I'm very handy with tools and as long as I have instruction's am able to fix just about anything. I've done some reading here on iboats already and believe there is a sensor on the stern drive that my be the problem. Does anyone know of other problems, wire, circuit, fuse, etc.. that I sould be looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Leisure Time

LT

The problem may be because it's a Volvo. I have twin Volvo's and they haven't worked right since new (07). There just two darn expensive to replace just to see the position on a gauge.

Leisure Time

Cadet

The problem may be because it's a Volvo. I have twin Volvo's and they haven't worked right since new (07). There just two darn expensive to replace just to see the position on a gauge.

Thanks for the info, and to Brett also.

Yes I noticed mine was doing weird readings last summer but just thought it was from all the lake weeds we have. Its not uncommon to reverse the engines to kick off the weeds on our lake. The boat is still under warranty I think and the marina would have fixed the problem. Its just the timing was bad. I was there to pick up boat and transport it to cottage when they found the problem. If it wasn't for the fact that next week is our long weekend here in Canada I would have left the boat with them. The marina said it was a easy fix and should be able to do it myself. They'll order parts if it ends up not working. It would be a pain to bring the boat back over 200 km if its just a loose wire or something to that degree.

Last year I just trim by sound, feel, and location of bow. Once I heard the prop wash (or is the right word cavitation), I would lower the drive until I felt the boat kick forward. Since the boat may still be under warranty and I did pay a good buck for it I would like it to work right and least once.lol

Thanks

LT

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The senders fail fast. I have replaced mine once after it only had 80 hours on it and I won't do it again when it fails the next time.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I have a pinched/cut wire...I'm gonna splice, solder (sp?) and shrink wrap...if that doesn't fixed I'm not spending the $133.00 to replace...I can tell by feel and rpm's where it's at!

LT, if it's under warranty and not functioning, have it replaced...overall a very easy procedure!

Cheers,

~bRett

Leisure Time

Cadet

I have a pinched/cut wire...I'm gonna splice, solder (sp?) and shrink wrap...if that doesn't fixed I'm not spending the $133.00 to replace...I can tell by feel and rpm's where it's at!

LT, if it's under warranty and not functioning, have it replaced...overall a very easy procedure!

Cheers,

~bRett

Thanks Brett and everyone else for your wisdom. I'm going to take a look on the drive and try to find the location of the sensor. I have a good understanding now where it is. I'll check wiring and if nothing looks out of place I'll launch boat as suggested by marina. If sensor or gauge doesn't work I'll ask for replacement parts and render repairs myself. If I run into problems I know there are some really great people here to help me.

Thanks

LT