3.0Gl wont start after head gasket replacement HELP

Mweaver987

Recruit
Lets start off at the beginning, I own a 1995 Caravelle with a 3.0 GL mmda Volvo Penta engine, a friend borrowed it and a belt broke allowing it to overheat blowing the head gasket, I replaced the belt and ran it a short distance before I saw the milky substance in the oil and followed to verify from a compression test that is was the head gasket. So I replaced the head gasket along with a exhaust manifold gasket and several others that were taken off to allow the head gasket replacement. Now the boat will only turn over and will not fire at all. The plugs are getting spark from the wires and the carburetor has fuel going into it. Thanks in advance to all the responses and help with this matter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.0Gl wont start after head gasket replacement HELP

So what is your compression now?

MikDee

Banned

You probably have the Distributor in wrong? Out of phase. You must turn the crank to TDC (top dead center) of Cyl #1 COMPRESSION stroke, Not EXHAUST stroke. Put your finger, or a hose in Cyl #1 spark plug hole to check for compression, then set your distributor on Cyl #1.
You might hafta take the Dizzy out, & turn the rotor to do this.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i think mikdee is spot on. diatributor off phase or even more simple - you messed up the position of the ignition wires .

i think no need to check compression

Mweaver987

Recruit

i think mikdee is spot on. diatributor off phase or even more simple - you messed up the position of the ignition wires .

i think no need to check compression

Thank you I will double check my wires