OMC concealed side mount remote control - adjustment of throttle friction screw

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm running into an issue with the remote control staying put and am trying to determine whether or not the issue is with the throttle friction screw or with my newly installed shift cable.

The remote control won't hold position in just one particular area of its range of motion. For example, if the remote control's entire range of motion is from 9:00 (WOT forward) to 12:00 (neutral) to 3:00 (WOT reverse), at about the 10:00 to 9:45 position there is a small loss of friction (or possibly tension on the cable) pulling the remote control back towards 12 o'clock so that if I were to completely let go of it, the tension would pull the remote about a 1/4 of an inch back towards 12:00. It doesn't go all the way back to neutral, just to about 11:00 or so. This causes the rpm's to drop by about 500 or so.

The loss of friction (or interference from the cable?) occurs only in that 10:00 to 9:45 range however. Before that and after that the remote control will stay where I left it.

Also, the remote control's movement through the entire range of motion is smooth and has what I believe is a "normal" amount of friction other than during that small little range, leading me to believe the cable is ok.

Is this a problem with the throttle friction screw or with the new shift cable I installed? I find it odd that it will only lose friction in just that one small range.

I've pulled both the shift and throttle cables and inspected the entire run - no sharp bends or a twists - they are both running straight as I can make them with no dips or bends.

Thanks

Last edited: