Reassembling copper water tubes and washers question

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got my AQ131A on a stand while I reassemble it and I'm about to hook up the copper water tubes, raw water pump etc and I'm wondering if I should be adding any type of compound/gasket sealer to the rubber washers to help make the connection water tight?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reassembling copper water tubes and washers question

I was instructed to use a bit of marine grease on the seals.
Just make sure that where the seals go into the corresponding parts that there is no corrosion and the paints smooth.

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was instructed to use a bit of marine grease on the seals.
Just make sure that where the seals go into the corresponding parts that there is no corrosion and the paints smooth.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a tube of green marine wheel bearing grease, so I'll use that. The interesting thing that I'm finding out about assembling these water tubes and seals is that it works best to assemble the connections but not tighten any of them up until both ends and everything else is comfortably lined up...then tighten them into place.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You're right about getting them in place prior to tightening. If the tubes have been bent, it can get pretty frustrating getting them into alignment. I've used Permatex red to seal the top of the washers when I couldn't get good alignment due to bent tubes. After it cures, does a pretty good job of sealing leaks.

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're right about getting them in place prior to tightening. If the tubes have been bent, it can get pretty frustrating getting them into alignment. I've used Permatex red to seal the top of the washers when I couldn't get good alignment due to bent tubes. After it cures, does a pretty good job of sealing leaks.

Thanks. I've got some of that stuff, so I'll use it if I have to.