Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Fuel/Water Separator

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey All,
Going to replace the fuel filer this weekend. Ive had my mechanic do it in the past but I figured I'll just do it this time. Its the spin on type, as pictured heremeBU00U8Pr8_TB_56yO_gEQ.jpg. Upon some research I know I need to coat the seal with a little engine oil and fill it with some clean gas prior to installing. Is that correct? Will I need any tools or does it just spin off/on by hand?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Fuel/Water Separator

you may need a strap wrench to crack it loose. no harder than spinning on an oil filter

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

It's just like an oil filter...spins off by hand (may need a wrench to remove depending on previous install?). Have something ready, as the old one will be full of gas!

Maclin

Admiral

I use an open oil filter wrench to get the old one started turning since I do not care if it gets hurt. When putting on the new one I go hand tight, meaning when it feels tight I try to get a couple more whanks* until it will not move. I take a few moments with clean towel and make sure hands and filter are all clean and dry before I start to tighten.

*(from my personal dictionary)

Maclin

Admiral

Wow, 3 great minds all posting in a row here :)

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys! Yeah I thought I might need some sort of wrench to get it off because I gave it a go last weekend with my hand and it didn't budge. Do I need to fill it with some clean gas prior to installing?

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I'd at least partially fill it (3/4 full). It would save some winding on your starter.

The last time I changed mine, I didn't fill it, and wished I had. It just took a noticeable time to fill on it's own.

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:
So I replaced the filter, filled it 3/4 of the way up with gas. I also added in some fuel stabilizer to my tank. She started up great and while I was letting it run, about a minute into it she died. Now I cant get her started. I cranked her over about 10-12 times and nothing. Is this normal?

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There was nothing wrong before I changed the fuel filter, just routine maintenance. Boat was running great.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

There was nothing wrong before I changed the fuel filter, just routine maintenance. Boat was running great.

Opps me bad I read filter was 3/4 full of water...mourning coffee is a must for me sorry about that..:laugh:

Umm did you pump the throttle a few time's to prime the carb...

Last edited:

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No Problem Tail_Gunner.....it happens.

Yeah I did give her a few pumps too. I did smell gas after awhile so maybe I flooded it. I am going to go try again in a little bit.

Update: Well, she has been sitting for about 6 hours and tried again, but still wont turn over. Any ideas?

Last edited:

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found this quote on a previous thread on here:

"Also I don't know the difference between your 4.3 GL and my 4.3 GS, but unless my fuel filter/water separator is full of gas to begin with, my engine won't start on its own."

Mine was maybe half way full. Could that be the issue? Does the fuel pump grab the fuel out of the separator than send it to the carbs? Maybe it's unable to suck the gas out of there if it isn't full? When I took the old one out it was chalk full of gas.

But then again I am not an engine guru, so I could be way off in how the fuel portion of the engine operates.

Last edited:

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked the fuel filter and it was full of gas. Tried cranking her and it sounded like she was gonna fire up but didn't. I took the heat shield off and took this vid. You can see where gas is coming up out of that tube in the center at the end of the video. That's not supposed to happen right? It's a lot too, so much that its dripping down onto the engine block.

Here is the vid:
Boat Won't Fire - YouTube

Lynall

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the fuel filter and it was full of gas. Tried cranking her and it sounded like she was gonna fire up but didn't. I took the heat shield off and took this vid. You can see where gas is coming up out of that tube in the center at the end of the video. That's not supposed to happen right? It's a lot too, so much that its dripping down onto the engine block.

Here is the vid:
Boat Won't Fire - YouTube

Ive had a few issues with water getting into the tank then the filter, so have removed the filter way to many times, and all I have done is remove filter, drain contents out, filter back on and it starts pretty quickly, one time I forgot to turn the fuel tap on and that certainly took a lot of cranking before it fired.
Have you knocked any wires etc?

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you knocked any wires etc?

I don't believe I knocked any wires.

I re-watched that video on my PC and its kind iof hard to see where the fuel is coming out from. I attached a pic showing you the location on the Carb.
Carb.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Pour a small amount of gas into the carb throat and try it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

looks like your float is hung if your getting fuel out the vent tube

jcornell26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did a little googlin' and it sounds like that may be the issue. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on where the float is and how how to diagnose? I really appreciate it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

the float is in the carb. usually a carb disassembly, clean, and then re-gasket would correct the issue. most carb kits come with the needles. floats are usually extra.