dp sm trim sender replacement - anyone with experience on changing?

06dpsm

Cadet
OK, I checked the wiring and it is definitely a bad sender. I have a DPSM outdrive, 2 wire sender.

Anyone have experience changing these out? How difficult is it to get to the little plug that fits into the transom shield, remove the clip, re-insert, etc.

it doesn't look easy to get at from the outside, or from the back side (behind the engine, very tight).

Or do I just clip the wires, solder and heat shrink like I used to when my merc senders went bad?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: dp sm trim sender replacement - anyone with experience on changing?

Something I wrote up earlier. http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...umber-my-trim-sending-unit-please-600213.html Might be interesting to read this old post.

"I presume you have downloaded the manual for the drive from here.

Points I have found that the manual doesn't mention.
From inside the boat.
Remove the raw water intake hose at the transom to give you some room to see and remove the little spring clip that secures the rubber moulded grommet that the wires pass through, tie some string on this clip before you drop it into the bilge. Unless you have the engine out or are a contortionist you will find it very difficult to press the grommet out as suggested in the manual. Tie a single overhand knot in the wire as close as you can get to the grommet, if you don't the wires will pull through the rubber. Remove the plug as in the manual i.e. press out the pins.

Move to the outside and give the external wire a hefty straight pull and it will come out of the transom shield. (or it has done with mine on the 6 occasions I have had to do it)
When you install the new one put some silicone grease on the grommet and firmly press it in from the outside and don't drop the spring clip when you are putting it back inside the boat.
It can be done with the Pivot housing in place, but I have found it easier with it removed, your choice. "

06dpsm

Cadet
Re: dp sm trim sender replacement - anyone with experience on changing?

thanks for the advice, that's pretty much how /i went about getting it out.

Unfortunately, i didn't think about the string trick until about 1 second after I dropped the clip into god-knows-where (think it went into the backside of the transom shield, whatever, I'll never find it). Ordered another. that damn plug was so hard to get in I doubt it will fall out before I order a new clip and put a string on it and re-install. I zip tied it on the inside anyway

Any idea where the limits are physically - how far up before you should cut to 1000RPM and how far up before no running at all?

I don't have any limiter on mine, and have been paranoid about tilting up in shallows at too high RPMS.