SX M 1.97 Gimbal bearing notch orientation and omission of grease seal

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the grease-able type of gimbal bearing that I'm putting in my SX M 1.97:

gimbal bearing notches.jpg

The question is, which way do the notches go--toward the engine, or the drive.
I know why they're there (to rotate the inner bearing for removal), but it seems
few people replace them that way any more, and you can't even buy them that way.

All I have found is info on Merc's that says the "used" to go one direction, but now
they go "backwards".

Does it even matter? The one that I pulled out had the notches toward the drive, but
I can only guess at what was done previously, or why, due to some other goofy things
that I have fixed.

Secondly, the grease ring behind my gimbal bearing would NOT come out. Even with
the engine out, I could not get it out of the bore. The rubber was destroyed when I
pulled by gimbal bearing (the puller grabbed/crimped the rubber), so I tore out all of
the rubber, and left the outer ring of the seal in place. Or at least I think I did; do these
come w/ a metal lip, or all rubber?

I read a while back that Don S. didn't think much of these seals anyway, and I am debating
not even playing with it anymore, and just ignoring it completely. (Don mentioned this the
first time I pulled my drive, and I found the stainless ring from the lip seal sitting in my gimbal
bearing, as it had apparently come apart.)

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Hope you have a great start to your boating seasons!!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: SX M 1.97 Gimbal bearing notch orientation and omission of grease seal

I never replace the seals.

Doesn't matter which way the notches face.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I replaced seal and bearing the slots faced forward from new so that is how I put it back. The seal is the last ditch to keep water out of your boat should the bellows fail, it also directs the grease through the bearing. My seal was harder to remove than the bearing, but I finally got it, I'm sure you know it comes out towards the stern, and yes it has a metal "L" shaped body.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info gents.
If this boat sat in the lake, I'd be more worried about bellows tearing and severe water intrusion.
But, she's a trailer queen, and the engine is back in now.

So I think I'll put the bearing back in, notches forward, and start getting everything else ready to go.

Thanks again!!