Volvo to Mercruiser conversion

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all. I hope this isn't a stupid question. I wasn't sure if I should put it here or in the Volvo section. Here goes:

Let's say you have a boat (Bayliner) with a Volvo 350, and let's say the hull is in rough shape, but the engine and outdrive are in great shape. Now let's say you had the opportunity to get a hull that's in great shape, but due to lack of winterization had a cracked block. That boat has a Mercruiser 350. Would it be feasible to mate the Volvo 350 to the Mercruiser outdrive? Or mount the entire engine and outdrive into the Mercruiser boat? Or just swap out the block?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Volvo to Mercruiser conversion

What model VP? The later SX series use the same cutout as the Mercruiser, so a complete transplant is easy.
And yes, this should be in the Volvo section. I'll move it there for you.

Chris....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the year the Volvo block will pretty much swap right to the Mercruiser.
A bit more info?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

since both volvo and mercruiser buy the block and heads from GM. the base motor is the same.

from there, its volvo specific flywheel adapters, manifolds and electrics and Mercruiser specific flywheel adapters, manifolds and electrics.

so to answer your question. yes you could use the block and heads with a caviat. what year volvo and what year mercuiser. GM changed a few things along the way, so you would have to keep the block years in mind.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

The Bayliner is an 85 2550. But the engine is newer, but I can be sure of the year since I bought it that way. It's fuel injected, and I know the 85 Bayliner didn't come with the FI Volvo. The previous owner said the engine was a 1990. The Mercruiser boat is a 92 Celebrity. The outdrive on my boat is an AQ 280, I'm not sure what the Celebrity has.

Bondo

Staff member

The Bayliner is an 85 2550. But the engine is newer, but I can be sure of the year since I bought it that way. It's fuel injected, and I know the 85 Bayliner didn't come with the FI Volvo. The previous owner said the engine was a 1990. The Mercruiser boat is a 92 Celebrity. The outdrive on my boat is an AQ 280, I'm not sure what the Celebrity has.

Ayuh,.... The basic Long Blocks, oughta be the same,...

Those vintage blocks are the Same, from '87, to current production, though the heads/ intakes changed in '96, with the Intro of the Vortec heads,...

I Agree with Scott,.... Swap the Long Blocks, not fully dressed motors,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would keep the fuel injection block and heads, or if your not comfortable with EFI, sell the EFI and just use the block and heads for the Mercruiser.