Outdrive corrosion

John Scott

Cadet
I am in the process of purchasing a used 2006 boat which has twin Volvo Penta Duo Prop outdrives which consequently are showing signs of corrosion in a few places. The surveyor recommended I add more protection, particularly to the area where the rams come out of the hydraulic cylinders which raise and lower the drives. I boat in the Great lakes so he recommended aluminum anodes (rings) which go around the rams next to the hydraulic cylinders. Does anyone have an online source where I can get such an item?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Outdrive corrosion

Maybe best to start here on iBoats . . . Their prices are pretty good on many items

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Volvo Penta recommends aluminum anodes for brackish water but magnesium for freshwater- so I'd go with magnesium anodes which can be found on iboats.

I'm trying to find the particular one but this link should get you started - anode

For reference, the volvopenta store can be found here

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Volvo Penta recommends aluminum anodes for brackish water but magnesium for freshwater- so I'd go with magnesium anodes which can be found on iboats.
You have a link to this info? I have never seen this recommendation and I don't think Volvo sells anything but zinc anodes.

Thalasso

Commander

Great lakes region? Use Magnesium anodes. If the drive is showing corrosion, two things. Was it used in salt water and are all the bonding wires connected. I don't think you can add anodes to the trim rams (2006) on the Volvo's. I know i can't on mine. Mercs yes. maybe the marine insp got his drives mixed up. Just where is the corrosion issue? A picture will be a thousand words.
I have twin Volvo DP on a 2007 model boat manuf. in late 2006

Here on iboats.Maintenance Parts, Sx-A, Dps-A, Oxi
2 Anode Kit, Magnesium 3888815 1 $45.88

Last edited:

John Scott

Cadet

I know for sure boat has never been in saltwater. I will check on the bonding wire issue. I though it would be an issue to add anodes to the trim rams as there is very little room when the drives are all the way down. The corrosion seems to be most prevalent in close proximity to where there is stainless, ie., close to where the trim rams enter the cylinders, nuts fastening drive to boat. Thanks for the response and I will plan to replace the existing anodes with magnesium, not knowing what is there.