1985 bay liner Capri 2.1 ltr carb issue

Stworsen

Cadet
Ok the boat is a little cold natured at first. It takes about 6 times for it to idle long enough to put in neutral to rev up to about 2k. Once it runs at about 2k for about 30 seconds it will fire right back up. The issue after this is when you take off if you do not go full throttle it will stall and die. If I rev it and then go into gear it will work . Any ideas here?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 bay liner Capri 2.1 ltr carb issue

Those are pretty cold blooded engines and I don't believe they have chokes.

captmello

Captain

Those are pretty cold blooded engines and I don't believe they have chokes.

+1, no choke. Those motors need to be in good tune as well. Typically a few pumps of the trottle with the throttle handle in throttle only position, then leave the throttle about 1/3. Once started keep the throttle up around 1200 rpm to allow the engine to warm a bit. If you need to keep it up around 2000 rpm, you may need to clean out the carb and/or do a tune up. Setting the points with a dwell meter followed by adjusting the timing is the best way to set your points.

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok the boat is a little cold natured at first. It takes about 6 times for it to idle long enough to put in neutral to rev up to about 2k. Once it runs at about 2k for about 30 seconds it will fire right back up. The issue after this is when you take off if you do not go full throttle it will stall and die. If I rev it and then go into gear it will work . Any ideas here?

I have a bit of experience on these carbs and engines.
I am not quite sure what you mean that it takes 6 times before you can put it in neutral?
You want to pull out the throttle handle to disengage the gear shift. Then pump the handle a few times and leave it at medium throttle. Then start the engine and it should fire right up.
You want to keep it at around 2000-1500 RPM until the temp gauge gets up to 150+. Once you are there you can throttle back to idle and shift into gear.

Make sure the carb is properly adjusted - along with timing and dwell time.
The engines are very sensitive to these adjustments but once you have it done they will run very reliably.

Stworsen

Cadet

Never used a dwell meter but the points look good. I have to turn it over about 6 times and it will fire but not run. After a few tries it idles enough to disengage the gear

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never used a dwell meter but the points look good.
Supposedly these motors are very picky about dwell. I suggest you get one and replace your points while you are at it. Always check timing after you change the dwell.

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Never used a dwell meter but the points look good. I have to turn it over about 6 times and it will fire but not run. After a few tries it idles enough to disengage the gear

There is a lot more to points than a visual inspection.
For starters set the gap to the correct value. This will give you are starting point if you do not have a dwell meter.
Then when the engine is running set the timing with a timing light and verify that the mechanical advance is working. You should have around 34-38 at 4,000 RPM if I remember correctly. Usually you end up with 6-10 at idle.
Note that due to the water pump etc. you set the idle to 900 per the boat manual instead of the 750 the engine manual calls for. That is a no load idle setting.

Explain to me please what exactly you are doing during start. I do not understand what you mean that it has to idle for a little while before you can disengage the gear. The gear should be disengaged before you even try to start it.
The way you describe it, it sounds like you are starting it in gear - which really shouldn't be possible if the neutral safety switch is working.

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would start by cleaning the carb- all the jets and filters.

Stworsen

Cadet

Ok bad phrasing on my part. The boat is in nuetral when I start. But if I try to pull the handle towards me and throttle it up a bit it will not start. I have to keep bumping the key( and it will fire then die) eventually it will fire and idle. I do have to boat idled at about 900 now. I'm checking the fuel lines and filter tomorrow. Not much on carbs but I'm learning

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok bad phrasing on my part. The boat is in nuetral when I start. But if I try to pull the handle towards me and throttle it up a bit it will not start. I have to keep bumping the key( and it will fire then die) eventually it will fire and idle. I do have to boat idled at about 900 now. I'm checking the fuel lines and filter tomorrow. Not much on carbs but I'm learning

My apologies in advance if I am too stuck on the throttle issue.
To me it sounds like you have the throttle in the neutral and idle position when you try to start. On these cold blooded engines it will never really start in this position. You have to give it some gas to get it running. You also want to pump the throttle a couple of time before starting. This will let the accelerator pump give a couple of squirts of gas into the carb.

Anyway back to the neutral issue. If it is in gear when you move the throttle forward there is a switch that prevents the engine from starting. You have to pull the entire handle to port to disengage the gear shift portion (this will leave the gear in neutral regardless of the throttle position). Once it is out there it will only operate the throttle and you can rev the engine without the prop engaging.

Let me know if this is what you are doing. As I said there is a difference between having the gear in neutral (handle in the center position) and disengaging the gear (pull handle to starboard).

Stworsen

Cadet

Ok I cleaned the carb and pumped the throttle a few times before start. Fired right up. I disengaged the gear by pulling the throttle handle out and throttled up to about 1500 rpms. This worked well. Also there was no fuel filter. I am adding one before the fuel pump. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad to hear you have it working now.
These engines are pretty sensitive to following the right procedure for starting as you have found out.

I still recommend to see if you can adjust the dwell and timing on it as it will make a difference in the power output. That being said the engines will run within a pretty big range of adjustments just not as efficient as is can.

Stworsen

Cadet

Thanks Alan I ordered a dwell meter. Do you know what degree the timing should be?

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Alan I ordered a dwell meter. Do you know what degree the timing should be?

Please see the attached PDF.
It is from the service manual for these engines - it has all the information you need (and more).

Note that the dwell angle is called the cam angle here. It is listed as 62 +/- 3 degrees.

The timing is listed on the engine as approx. 10 degrees at idle and 32-36 degrees at 4,000 RPM.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• AQ125,145 A,B Service Manual.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 0